Infamous NSA leaker Edward Snowden says he's "already won"

Scorpus

Staff member

infamous nsa edward snowden nsa security leaks snowden

The name Edward Snowden has been a major talking point for the year 2013, with the infamous ex-NSA contractor facilitating a number of interesting leaks over the past six months. In an interview conducted by The Washington Post, Snowden reveals some of the reasons behind the leaks, saying that "for me, in terms of personal satisfaction, the mission’s already accomplished. I already won."

Snowden says that the leaks were, in part, designed to highlight misconduct within the NSA, rather than to damage the organization. "I am not trying to bring down the NSA, I am working to improve the NSA", he said. When asked what entitled Snowden to take on this responsibility, he responded by saying "the system failed comprehensively" and so he was "elected" by people who were responsible for the failings.

Before Snowden began leaking information to the press, he says he tried to report misconduct to several NSA superiors among 15 other co-workers, starting in October 2012. Some employees reportedly showed astonishment when Snowden revealed that the NSA collects more information on Americans than Russians, although his reports ultimately went nowhere. Meanwhile, the NSA itself claims there's no record of Snowden raising any issues.

Now residing in Russia, where he's been granted temporary asylum, Snowden revealed many critical NSA programs earlier this year, including PRISM, which allegedly collects data directly from the servers of major tech companies, as well as widespread phone tapping and tracking. The leaks have prompted some tech companies, including Microsoft and Google, to implement stronger encryption and fight back against online surveillance.

Permalink to story.

When asked what entitled Snowden to take on this responsibility, he responded by saying "the system failed comprehensively"
Regardless of what you think of him personally, there is absolutely no doubt that no-one was keeping the NSA accountable to any sort of legal or ethical standards or boundaries. Unequivocally Snowden is right in this statement.

When asked what entitled Snowden to take on this responsibility, he responded by saying "the system failed comprehensively"
Regardless of what you think of him personally, there is absolutely no doubt that no-one was keeping the NSA accountable to any sort of legal or ethical standards or boundaries. Unequivocally Snowden is right in this statement.

Agreed. And, unfortunately, I do not believe they are being held accountable now.

NSA: Snowden, since you already won, come home and collect your prize...
Snowden: when?... :)
NSA: as soon as possible...
Snowden: uhmmm, nah! I'm just teasing you...
NSA: nooooooooo!

Honestly the guy seems like a pompous *** to me and I can't wait for him to go down for his crimes.

I'm not american and I demand respect for my privacy, Snowden is a HERO

Honestly the guy seems like a pompous *** to me and I can't wait for him to go down for his crimes.
What crimes? Are you talking about the crimes against the people, he was forced to endure while in service? The crimes of which he could no longer live with out of guilt. The crimes of which he wanted everyone else to know about. Our constitution is a joke! There is no such thing as "Freedom of Speech". And you are one that is supporting its downfall.

Lol he says that while he's not in the US

Because you always face those who can do you harm and insult them in their faces and take the consequences right? Only a stupid person would challenge the US on their own soil and only a stupid person would make fun of a person for doing it outside the US.

Says the guy who casted the first stone. Let me know when your done paying for the crimes you have done (j-walking counts BTW) and then we'll talk about this guy paying for his crimes.

What crimes? Are you talking about the crimes against the people, he was forced to endure while in service? The crimes of which he could no longer live with out of guilt. The crimes of which he wanted everyone else to know about. Our constitution is a joke! There is no such thing as "Freedom of Speech". And you are one that is supporting its downfall.
You took the bait Cliff, never respond that seriously to a guest comment! You know better then that!

Last edited:
You took the bait Cliff, never respond that seriously to a guest comment! You know better then that!
As long as TechSpot allows guest to comment, I will continue to take them seriously. Unless of course you tell me, allowing guest to comment should only be thought of as promoting site traffic.

What I can't seem to figure out though, is how all this is tech related. We seem to have drifted from surveillance equipment/methods into a political arena. Therefor the whole topic should not be taken seriously on a tech site. But since we are here, why not give it our all!?

This guy is a traitor plain and simple. He took a job and swore to a oath. They did not hire him to evaluate what he should be able to decide to tell people. I am sure he told other governments some of our secrets.

They did not hire him to evaluate what he should be able to decide to tell people.
And here we have unconstitutional job requirements under a false illusion of protecting it. Our nation as a whole has become so hypocritical. If we are not going to live by the Constitution, we might as well get rid of it. At the very least Congress could amend/erase the pages they don't want to uphold. At least then we would know where we stand. As it is we would likely get shot by someone holding a badge, trying to exercise our rights. Don't believe me. Exercise your right to bear arms in a public place. Not only have we lost the right to bear arms, we are facing the possibility of loosing the right to own them. I'm saying it again, our nation as a whole has become so hypocritical.

This guy is a traitor plain and simple. He took a job and swore to a oath. They did not hire him to evaluate what he should be able to decide to tell people. I am sure he told other governments some of our secrets.

So if you got hired at a restaurant then found out the owners were using ingredients that were banned in your state and potentially harmful, you would just keep quiet and go to work and collect a paycheck.

People like you are worse than snowden.

The government is made of people and humans beings are not perfect so someone has to do balance and checks on them also.

Do you blindly believe everything the government tells you because you think they are doing it in your best interest???

Wake the F*** up!

Last edited:
This guy is a traitor plain and simple. He took a job and swore to a oath. .
So lets say you work for the police and your partner rapes your girlfriend while your unaware, then you find out later. Not going to report him?

"for me, in terms of personal satisfaction, the mission’s already accomplished. I already won."

God this guy is such a douche. He clearly just did this to get attention. He's not a "hero" he's a troll.

"for me, in terms of personal satisfaction, the mission’s already accomplished. I already won."

God this guy is such a douche. He clearly just did this to get attention. He's not a "hero" he's a troll.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about your post. *TheBigFatClown gives the anonymous poster a big fat bear hug!!!*

A traitor? Sure. But is that always a bad thing? I can say with some degree of certainty that I'd rather be a traitor to a treacherous regime than a loyalist to one.

Fair's fair. How about holding all US Presidents, CIA Heads, NSA Heads etc accountable for their war crimes, violations of human rights, breaches of constitutional rights, espionage, blackmail of corporations and individuals and so on as well? No? Bit hypocritical don't you think?

Why should Snowden be charged for revealing the crimes of the NSA when these US institutions are not held to account by the same set of laws?

Personally I think the world should be grateful for what he has done. He has shown that these organisations, left without checks and balances, would abuse their power. They would not meet any moral standards. They would weaken cyber security for the entire world to have their way without regard for the consequences. They would abuse powers given to them in the guise of anti-terrorism laws to commit illegal acts. Don't believe me? Every single claim I make is verifiable with a few keystrokes.

"Funny, I was thinking the same thing about your post. *TheBigFatClown gives the anonymous poster a big fat bear hug!!!*"

Aww, someone disagrees with you so you resort to childish postings with no actual content. Cute. I have to agree, this guy is anything but a hero. What does "personal satisfaction" have to do with anything? A real hero would have released the information because it was the right thing to do... and they wouldn't need their name attached to it. He could have easily released this information anonymously, but no, the guy had to make a name for himself and try to get his 15 minutes of fame.

Also, if you didn't think anything like this was happening in today's world, you need to come out of the cave you're living in. This guy "showed" us nothing.

Back