Infamous Tech Industry Predictions and Quotations

By Julio Franco
Dec 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Booster Posts: 385   +96

The Linux/OS Wars one was the funniest. Mostly funny because it'll never be true and a little more funny because some Linux fanatics actually think it will happen.

Not a Linux hater, but come on you got to be realistic.
    techseven and hahahanoobs like this.
  2. Major Plonquer

Major Plonquer Newcomer, in training

When presented with an opportunity in 1986 to license Guide, the first commercially available hypertext browser, Gates threw the proposal across the table and asked "Who would ever want a browser"? Thanks to Gates' insight, Microsoft are still playing catch up.
  3. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,034   +70

Don't know when or why this was said, but even in a hindsight it bears lots of truth:

"Computers are like bikinis. They save people a lot of guesswork." Sam Ewing (whoever he is) ;)

As usual Graham a very pleasant read :)
    dividebyzero and TheDreams like this.
  4. :p
    nice article.

in business (and in life), never say never. imagine what would have happened if steve jobs did not return to apple? (or did not die and instead decides to be the new MS CEO.)
  5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,578   +76

This how it was simple time, today they're grown so huge and forgot how they did care about their software products.
  6. p51d007

p51d007 TechSpot Booster Posts: 292   +39

That one made me laugh...I've been in the photocopier business since 1981.
    Now, that is all we see is the MFP (multifunction printer).

“Above all, what we'll never see fly is the scanner / printer / fax / copier combo”
    – John C. Dvorak
    [PC Magazine, November 27, 1990]
  7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,017   +683

I'd like to see the other half of the predictions. The ones that were right and years ahead of their time.
  8. mojorisin23

mojorisin23 Newcomer, in training Posts: 60

Seems like John Dvorak has made the most asinine comments of the last two decades. I really hope he's still not employed by PC Mag.
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  9. Mugsy

Mugsy TechSpot Maniac Posts: 410

Wondering why THIS comment is in the list:

“I don't know if anyone has tried to run Windows on a 286 machine, but frankly I'd rather have knitting needles in my eyes” - 1991

In '91, most people were using the 386, and Windows 3.1 was *already* slow & crash prone. The 286 was slower, didn't have an FPU, and the memory-protection sucked. The quote was very true even back in '91.
  10. Fun read, especially for those of us around in the 80s or 90s.
    Having known John in the 90s, it would be easier to find predictions he made that actually came true. I know many people that made a living from investing in anything Dvorak claimed was crap.

I was always amazed how connected and somewhat well regarded he was in the technology world and yet how little he actually understood about technology.

11. The best prediction in the history of mankind is missing:

12. Those PowerPc predictions were true right? It really wasn't that successful.
  13. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,783   +639

Depends upon your definition. PowerPC is usually associated with Apple Corp., but is also found in IBM's RS/6000 series enterprise systems, gaming consoles, automobiles, aircraft, and of course, the Mars rover vehicle.
    Because the article concerns (in)famous quotes as well as predictions.
  14. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TechSpot Addict Posts: 879   +170

Can TS hire Graham full time lol? I really do enjoy his articles.
  15. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,578   +76

Coleco Adam Family Computer, Radio Shack Tandy Computer TRS80, 286 then came 386 and 486 the Pentium were we are today..
  16. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,859   +343

I remember years ago reading about someone important in science in the early 19th century saying "Everything that can be invented, has been invented."

Still, great article. Had some good laughs.
  17. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,717   +873

Very interesting read. Thanks.

18. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,384   +607

Luckily I understood most of these comments, but some context would be needed for non-techies. But, why are they reading such an article anyway... Interesting read! More please.
  19. dennis777

dennis777 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 274   +29

Made my day. nice article :)

“[Intel’s Pentium name] better suited as "a name for toothpaste”
    “[ Athlon for AMD’s new processor] It sounds more like a pair of sneakers. Or perhaps a new ointment”
  20. EClyde

EClyde TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 136   +12

And here is your Christmas buying guide

I like that Dvorak guy. He may be wrong but he isn't milk toast which is what most of the stuff we are fed is
  21. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash Newcomer, in training Posts: 120   +34

“I can see the day when Apple won't be in the personal computer business" and "The personal computer business as we have known it is not very attractive for the Nineties”

Well, he was half right at least!
  22. Nacelle

Nacelle Newcomer, in training

Quoting John C. Dvorak is a bit too easy. Spouting outlandish things to get the conversation going is what he does. For a long time he claimed he got no spam.
  23. I read this a while back.. the words are sure right.. but I don't remember where I read it. it was a faux pas made by Bill gates in (again not sure) 1983 or 84. when he said "64KB ought to enough for everyone" or something like that.. again correct me if I am wrong...!!!
  24. RPixxel8

RPixxel8 Newcomer, in training

Even before Moore, there was Countus Aponus, The Inciteful, who during the second Dynasty in Egypt, predicted, "I think these pyramids are going to just keep getting bigger for at least the next 500 years." Based on his observations of the last 100 years.
    Gates has by far made the most ridiculous predictions, and in fact, every decision up until now that has had his stamp of approval was based on such predictions. The computer industry may never be able to iron out all of the hardware flaws in the PC's design due to his un-inciteful, profit-focused decisions.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.