TechSpot

Info and opinions on new 64bit processors?

By CamaroZ28c
Jan 10, 2005
  1. I've been hearing that the new windows system will run on 64 bit processors since its going to be a 64 bit program. Will it also run on the old 32 bit systems or are we all going to have to upgrade in the near future? I ask this cause I just built a new system with a 3.0E GHz P4 system and I usually dont upgrade for 3-4 years. My last system was a 750MHz athlon! I try to beat the dead horse, hehe. Anyway, was just curious about what you all think may be the benefits and all that about the upcoming change.

2. fishhookz

fishhookz TS Rookie Posts: 177

IMO, 64-bit computing is NOT ready.

I'm aware of 64-bit Linux and the upcoming Windows. What about the rest of software? They're still mostly 32-bit and some 16-bit. Even in 32-bit Windows, the computer is mostly waiting for the user's input and idling. Has anyone here tried to compile Gentoo from stage 1 tarballs? Takes days if not weeks. Who plays 3d FPS 24/7? Yeah, one guy did that in a Korean net cafe and died of exhaustion after 2-3 days.

I'm very satisfied with my xp 2500+. Your P4 is pretty good. The things you might want to upgrade would be 3D accelerator, RAM, HD with 16mb cache. Or maybe your chair. :) I've seen so many photos of pc's and one had a Alienware and a crappy chair.

3. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

64 bit was introduced by intel's old Itanium line in 1999 or so, to allow a cpu to address more RAM than thier 32 bit predecessors. the AMD 64 is not so great, not at all.

4. CamaroZ28c

CamaroZ28c TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the responses. I am writing this on my new system today!! SOOOO much faster than my old girl. She served me well.... BTW My chair is very comfortable! Has to be since I spend so much time here. lol

5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

It is so bad Intel had to do an exact copy called EMT64. :giddy:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.