Info on IntelliMouse recall

Cryo

It wasn't mentioned in the post on the main page but anyone who either registered their mouse or sent in for a rebate when the bought it should be recieving instructions in the mail about how to get a new mouse. 5 of my friend all bought Wheel Mouse Opticals for $29.99 (on sale) with a $15 rebate, and in the last week we've all gotten the info sent to us as well as some other people who just registered when they bought the mouse and didn't use the rebate.

Just wanted to toss that up if anyone was interested.

Although I don't know the real specifics, the new mice are mainly suppose to fix problems with machines locking up after certain programs are closed with the optical mouse. I have heard unofficially that it is due to a flaw in some of the circutry of the mouse causing a signal which will lock machines with certain hard/software configurations, but don't hold me to that ;-)

Microsoft IntelliMouse Recall
by Julio @ 1:12 PM - [Comments]
Wednesday, July 3 2002 News

Saw this bit of news at Neowin: http://www.neowin.net/
Microsoft Optical Mouse Owner:

As you are aware, Microsoft mouse products enjoy a reputation for dependability & reliability backed by one of the best Limited Warranty offers in the industry. Microsoft has received reports that a small percentage of IntelliMouse Explorer, IntelliMouse Optical & WheelMouse Optical mice have stopped working or have begun to work intermittently after a period of normal use. Symptoms of this condition may cause the comuter or an open program to stop responding (hang) during or immediately following mouse movements. (If your computer stops responding or hangs without moving the mouse, this is unrelated to the condition described herein.)

If you live in the United States, & your IntelliMouse Explorer, IntelliMouse Optical, or WhellMouse Optical should stop working or begin to work interrmittently after normal use, Microsoft will replcace the mouse free of charge under the terms of the product's Limited Warranty.

An interesting thing i noticed:

With your optical mouse use scroll wheel, move it fast up and down for 15 secs and mouse has lag after u finsh while it finishs the wheels movements.

Originally posted by Tweakster
An interesting thing i noticed:

With your optical mouse use scroll wheel, move it fast up and down for 15 secs and mouse has lag after u finsh while it finishs the wheels movements.

Most mice do that, optical or not. Even my intellitrack does it.
It is the same as a really fast typist being able to finish typing a few seconds before the machine gets it all displayed.

Back