Inkjet multi-printer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw2004

Hi;
I have owned a Canon PIXMA MP-530 multifunction printer for about 1-1/2 years. I have been very happy with the machine, but there are some peculiarities that are annoying.

Yesterday, I was trying to send a fax directly from the computer through the machine. The fax would not go through. There was an obscure error, which basically said that the transmission was unsuccessful.
I tried several times with the same results. At one point I lifted the phone on the same line and heard data being sent.

Today, I attempted to send a fax from the machine, rather than the computer. This time I got an error message "Memory Full".
This really had me confused. Why was the memory full? There were no jobs in queue, but perhaps the machine still had the fax I had tried to send from the computer stored in its memory.

Next thing I did was to shut the machine down, and re-start. At the same time, I changed out the black ink cartridge since it had been indicating low for some time (I don't change them out right away when they indicate low because there is still ink left in the sponge).
Finally, I tried re-sending the fax from the machine, and it sent successfully. I then sent another fax from the computer, and it also sent successfully.

What I am asking is why aren't error messages more verbose? It is very confusing. Reminds me of Windows itself. Sometimes, error messages appear to have no meaning whatsoever, or are completely irrelevant.

Anyone else have this kind of trouble?

Thanks

FW

There isn't enough engineering time put into printer error messages... Sometimes they get updated into the system, but unless you are in contact with some knowledgable tech support person at Canon, you end up with the struggle you have survived.

Thanks for the reply. That was what I was afraid of. There is a firmware update on their site, but apparently, I already have that firmware in the machine.

FW

Many times, the developer gets a list of error codes with a terse description and that is all.

We all whine on this issue (even the developers) but when there's nothing to go on, you just have to punt.

Personally, I like to report Error Code, discovered by functionName() attempting some operation, but that's seldomly any better.

Windows Event Viewer has some good reporting and sometimes actually leads to some insight - - did you investigate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back