Inno3D 8600 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogue12

Hi, i recently purchased a Inno3D 8600 series 512mb ddr2 agp graphics card (graphics by nvidia), ive tried installing following per instructions, (removing all drivers, disabling old intergrated card etc..) but it will just bsod all the time so iahd to revert back to my old ati radeon 200xpress intergrated card.

i think though i may have found the issue and that the new gpu needs supplementry power through a cable connected to psu i think, but my psu is FSP 300-60THA(1) only 300 wats with no such connector, and also i think to why it bsod too is that the card has not enough power from the psu. im guessing good gpu like this would need lot more than 300wats, my rail say +12v -14amps, so my question would getting a new psu say 400-500 watts and then being able to connect up to the gpu with the a new psu with more amps fix this issue im having with the new gpu.

thanks for any help.

i ahve 2x 1gb ram kingston 667mhz
intel pentium 4 3.06ghz (support hyperthreading)

I'd say definately yes.

Purchase a new power supply, 550 Watt even (this can create a big debate!)

But lets just say the answer is yes replace PSU with bigger wattage.

thanks kim, would a new psu be compatible with my system i have a Acer Power F5 , but its oem bundled with xp pro sp2 and the hardware that came with it, so not a custom job.

Yes

There may be other replies, but all good power supplies will work

By the way you said it has the hardware that came with it. Did it come with 2x 1gb ram ? Extra ram requires extra PSU power.

nope i put in better ram and more, as it didnt come with much when i bought it. so whats psu watts should i go for if the ram uses more power?

Component...............................Requirement
AGP Video Card.........................30W – 50W
PCI Express Video......................100W – 225W
Average PCI Card.......................5W – 10W
DVD/CD....................................20W – 30W
Hard Drive................................15W – 30W
Case/CPU Fans..........................3W (ea.)
Motherboard (w/o CPU or RAM).....50W – 100W
RAM........................................15W per 1GB
Pentium III Processor..................40W
Pentium 4 Processor...................80W – 125W
AMD Athlon Processor.................80W – 125W

For overall power supply wattage, add the requirement for each device in your system, then multiply by 1.5

The multiplier takes into account that today’s systems draw disproportionally on the +12V output.
Furthermore, power supplies are more efficient and reliable when loaded to 30% - 70% of maximum capacity.

Therefore on a basic system

PCI-E + PCI Card + DVD+ HDD+Fan+Fan+M/b+Ram+Ram+P4 X 1.5 @ ~50% capacity
225+10+30+30+3+3+100+15+15+125 = 556Watts maximum X 1.5 @ ~50% capacity

= 417Watts

My recommendation is 500Watt + (as this takes everything into account)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back