Inserting blank CD/DVD Causes BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Everytime I insert a blank CD or DVD into my DVD drive, my computer blue screens. It's not instantaneous, more like it attempts to read the disc, but then it crashes. When I restart the computer, Windows will load, I'll sign into my account, things will seem to start up like normal, but then it blue screens again, and it will repeat this process until I take out the blank disc. The drive will read audio CDs, movies, data discs, and games just fine. I can also burn data to CD/DVD RW's just fine if there is already data on them. Here's some system info: (if you need more just ask)

DVD Drive: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-110D
Firmware: 1.41

Any ideas? I can provide you with some of the stop errors if you wish, they won't be hard to get, heh. This has been the umpteenth forum I've tried to get help on, to no avail. So let's see if you guys/gals can solve this problem for me :p.

That's not really all that relevant, as the computer crashes within seconds of inserting the CD/DVD. I don't even get the oppurtunity really to open a program. But, when I do burn, I use Nero.

...the computer crashes within seconds of inserting the CD/DVD.
This is new information, sort of. So somewhere between "not instantaneous" and "within seconds" it crashes. I had a reason for asking but now I'm not so sure it's on point. If you have set Nero to open upon insertion of a blank CD or DVD, perhaps it is the opening of Nero in this fashion that is causing the blue screen. I have Nero 6 at work and mine is set to autodetect. Maybe there is an error in the way Nero is autodetecting the blank disk and/or trying to open. If so, reinstallation of Nero might fix it.

I realize it's a longshot and there are a lot of ifs and maybes but at least I'm trying.

Hmm. Nero was set to open upon the insertion of blank disc! I disabled it, and now I don't crash. Ha, that's absolutely amazing. I've always thought it was some sort of conflict with a program, but I never imagined it would be Nero. I tried virtually everything else, except that. That's great, problem solved. (Well, for now anyway.. I thought it was solved before but it popped up again.) Thanks a bunch =)

Edit:

I think I spoke too soon. I'm still crashing even though it's disabled. I'll try a complete reinstall of Nero and see if that does it I guess.

Second Edit:

Ok, so I did a little bit of testing, with some pretty crap results actually. I uninstalled Nero, and when I put a blank disc in, I still crash. If I leave the disc in and let Windows boot up again, the computer crashes after sitting on the login screen for ~10 seconds. I didn't even have to login again for it to blue screen. I then disabled the Avast! On-Access Protection (which I had thought was the problem before, and had temporarily solved it, I had thought) but again, I crashed on insertion of a blank disc. Finally, I exited out of both PowerISO (which I use for virtual drives) and Kerio PFW, inserted a blank DVD, and I bluescreened. So I think I eliminated a few possibilities there.

Furthermore, the Microsoft Error Reports categorize my bluescreens into either a Device Driver issue, an Anti-Virus issue, or the report is just corrupt. Any further ideas? =/

I find it interesting that when you changed the Nero setting the symptoms changed, at least for awhile. Any change at all makes me want to look at the optical drive and its driver. Have you tried to uninstall the optical drive in the Device Manager yet? As you may know upon rebooting, Windows will reinstall the device automatically.

Although it doesn't seem like the optical drive itself is the problem because it seems to do everything else okay, maybe there is a problem nonetheless. Can you try another optical drive, either internal or possibly an external USB? Also, check the boot order in the BIOS and if it's not already, place the CD drive after the hard drive.

xApachex said:
Hmm. Nero was set to open upon the insertion of blank disc! I disabled it, and now I don't crash. Ha, that's absolutely amazing. I've always thought it was some sort of conflict with a program, but I never imagined it would be Nero. I tried virtually everything else, except that. That's great, problem solved. (Well, for now anyway.. I thought it was solved before but it popped up again.) Thanks a bunch =)

Edit:

I think I spoke too soon. I'm still crashing even though it's disabled. I'll try a complete reinstall of Nero and see if that does it I guess.

Second Edit:

Ok, so I did a little bit of testing, with some pretty crap results actually. I uninstalled Nero, and when I put a blank disc in, I still crash. If I leave the disc in and let Windows boot up again, the computer crashes after sitting on the login screen for ~10 seconds. I didn't even have to login again for it to blue screen. I then disabled the Avast! On-Access Protection (which I had thought was the problem before, and had temporarily solved it, I had thought) but again, I crashed on insertion of a blank disc. Finally, I exited out of both PowerISO (which I use for virtual drives) and Kerio PFW, inserted a blank DVD, and I bluescreened. So I think I eliminated a few possibilities there.

Furthermore, the Microsoft Error Reports categorize my bluescreens into either a Device Driver issue, an Anti-Virus issue, or the report is just corrupt. Any further ideas? =/

Could be any of the following?

Hardware Conflict
IRQ conflict with another device
RAM Memory Issue (how much RAM do you have)
Burner Hardware itself
PSU shorting out or going bad
Nero could be the cause or not
OS could have a problem
Is the main HDD and Burner sharing the same IDE channel?

What did you change prior to this problem?

@mailpup:

I was actually planning to uninstall the drive / rollback the drivers and see what happens. Although I'm pretty sure the problem existed before I actually updated to the current firmware sometime back. As for trying another one, unfortunately I don't have access to another drive other than buying one. Although I could try to scrounge around work / school to see if I can bum one off someone to try. And I already checked the boot priority (a few times lol) and made sure the DVD Drive was all set up / connected properly.

@tipstir:

Hardware conflict? Doubt it. It worked orignally when I built the computer a couple years ago, and it more or less just stopped working. The only hardware I've changed was the motherboard and PSU, but this was a problem before that change, so that's unlikely.

I actually don't even see the DVD Drive in the IRQ listings, so that might be a possibility? Not really familar with that area, so not sure.

I have 2 gigs of RAM so I don't see that being the issue.

The burner itself has always been a possibility, unfortunately though, as mentioned above, I don't readily have access to another drive.

The PSU is actually only a year or so old. I had it replaced when a powersurge fried it and my motherboard. It's 450w, and is sufficient to run my system.

The HDD is SATA primary, and the optical drive is IDE primary, so they aren't sharing the same channel :p

This has actually been an on-going problem for over a year. I haven't really had much need for burning things, but now I have a lot of crap on here that I would like to burn off and just delete off my system. So I really can't tell ya what has been changed. Honestly, not much prior to the problem. I'm pretty sure the problem occurred before my motherboard change, although I guess we could still leave that as a possibility, if only far down on the list though.

These are the problems I hate - the totally ambiguous ones with no apparent cause. How long have you had windows installed? Windows really should be taken out back behind the shed and shot every year or things start to get weird. I would try reinstalling windows (format the drive, no repair installs) and see if that helps. If you had a blank HDD laying around you could test it w/o killing your current installation.

I know what you mean. These problems simply suck. Um I've had Windows installed since I had the system in December 2005, so it's been there almost 2 years. I haven't really had any problems with it other than this. I prefer not to do a format, as I have a lot of stuff on this HDD that I would rather keep. Especially a game or two where the discs are too scratched up to read.

In terms of testing the DVD Drive, I'm thinking I could try it on my Mom's. I'll try that as soon as I get a chance, which unfortunately might not be until next week. I'll see what I can do.

Okay could be the drive is faulty but lets check the IRQ and see if you have the DRive setup right..

go into the device manager and click on view
scroll down to resources by connection
IRQ open that up
Scroll down to your Secondary IDE Chanel or Primary IDE only you know which one you're using. IDE 1 or IDE 2
Lets look at the Secondary IDE Channel is should say

DMA if avaliable
Current Transfer Mode Ultra DMA Mode 2 or better
Make sure your using MS drivers here.

Now you say that under the device manager it doesn't see the DVD Burner?
In your BIOS is this drive showing up also or not?

Then your drive is bad, when I use to do Desktop Support/Breakfix I've remember someone who had the same issue.
As for the Windows OS refresh I won't go that way it's better to backup your profile and then go into the Safe Mode and delete your current profile you use everyday. Next time you log in back Windows will recreate and build a new fresh one.
This works great for me, also use to do that for users who had all sorts of problems saves time to, put on a new image.

Heh, interesting. I don't show any IDE devices listed in the IRQ Listings at all. The DVD Burner is listed under normal Device Manager view, and it is also found in the BIOS.

Well I hate to bring this thread back to life, but my problem still exists... sooo, let's get this solved already!

For anyone who's not familiar with my problem, simply read the first post and probably the rest as well, just for good measure. They're not that long.. =)

I just bought a new burner, figuring that my old Pioneer was the problem. It's a SATA LiteOn LH-20A1S. Installed it, turned on the computer, inserted my blank DVD, and VOILA! Crashed. You can imagine how mad I was.. Anyway, I've since uninstalled Avast! because windows kept telling me it was my AntiVirus. It wasn't. So now I'm back to square one. Right now all I can see is that there is something up with my installation of XP. So I'm thinking that I'll probably just reformat, but to be honest I don't want to because I have soo much stuff on this hdd. So if we could figure out this problem it would be greatly, greatly appreciated =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back