Insite on overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinkedKube

Going to overclock my e6300. Currently have 2x1GB G skill 800 ram. I've been looking at guides here. While they tell me about ram. I havnt found one that tells me how depend (if it is at all) overclocking your cpu is on ram. Can someone explain to me or if you're not in the huggable mood link me to where I can read/learn more. Thank you.

Simple. You can overclock your RAM to a certain point before it fails. Voltage of course fixes this to a certain degree. Where this certain point lies depend on what RAM you're using, higher quality RAM will go farther than 500mhz (which is then doubled to 1ghz), while lower quality RAM might struggle to reach 450mhz.

Yours will run natively at 400mhz, doubled to 800. You might have no problems overclocking that to 450, and depending on which exact model, might even reach 500. If you got it at some bargain price, don't expect 500. You might still be lucky tho...

I'm reading people getting 900mhz on this ram. I can deal with that. As I overclock my cpu is it important to push my ram as well?

Most of the time, when you overclock your CPU, you automatically overclock your RAM.

Seeing that you're asking this question, I'm going to assume that you will do it automatically. No need to change anything, I think.

The Intel Nforce4 can only do 320-330MHZ FSB, so with DDR2-800 you should be able to the 3:4 ratio and be fine. With the FSB at 300MHz (your E6300 would be at 2.1GHz) the ram will be 800MHz DDR2. With the 4:5 ratio you could run 320Mhz FSB at DDR2-800. If you use the auto overclocking it will likely just drop the memory divider to 4:3 and underclock the RAM.

I'm not sure about Core 2 Duos, but with Athlon 64s and Opterons, the memory speed makes surprisingly lot of difference in overclocking, probably because they have an integrated memory controller.

Experiment with different CPU & memory speeds, you should find a sweet spot somewhere (either it's the CPU waiting for RAM or the other way around).

A very simple way to see the dependence between CPU & RAM speeds is memtest86, it displays the current memory speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back