TechSpot

Inspiron 5150 Radeon Mobility 9000 display problems - HELP!!!

By dreamweaver
Sep 14, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My Laptop:
    Dell Inspiron 5150
    Radeon Mobility 9000 64MB
    Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 7200RPM 60GB
    UXGA display at 1600 x 1200

This problem first appeared when I was playing Halo around 2 years ago. I made it half way through the campaign before anything went wrong. The screen would randomly go all funky soon after I started playing the game. I waited a few days without playing the game. When I resumed, everything worked. A year later while Playing Half Life 2, the same problem showed up. Again, I was around half way through the campaign - everything was working for a while until then. I experimented with many different display drivers, bios updates, reinstalls of XP, etc... I was able to fix the problem by using a certain Omega driver, but it would only work when I started the computer (display problem appeared), started the game, and then restarted (problem gone).
    Now the problem has reappeared randomly. This time it is worse than ever. Before, I would only encounter this when playing a game (Halo, HL2, CounterStrike). Now it not only appears on the desktop, but it appears on the XP boot screen while my pc is starting up. I have tried everything short of another reinstall of XP ( including opening up the whole laptop and blowing out the dust from the heatsink which I have done multiple times).
    Here are some screenshots taken from a while ago: http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=228305778

I'm beginning to think this is a hardware problem.
    any help would be appreciated.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.