TechSpot

Instal XP to different drive, not C ?

By Patosan
Oct 9, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I read at "Radified" that installing windows to a drive other thah C gives an extra layer, albeit small, security layer. Since virtually everyone uses C crude viruses may give up if not finding windows there.

Has anyone done this ?
    Are there any other things I'd need to do in such a case ?
    I intend to multi-boot also ... does this make not using C easier or not ?
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

During the Windows installation you are asked where to put it. Choose a secondary drive and it will Just Work.

The bootloader will still be put on C:, so there will be no difference when multi-booting.
  3. korrupt

korrupt Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,060

The best way to keep your computer virus free is by using a "limited" acount for all your downloading, web surfing etc and only use your admin account for installing stuff etc.

Regards,

Korrupt
  4. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

Just remember that some programs default to C:\ directory or c:\windows (for referencing system files i guess?) when installing so don't forget to change it or tweak the registry (if needed) a bit..
  5. Patosan

Patosan Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 49

Now I tend to feel the small advantage of not having win installed in C would probably be outweighed by other potential and unecesary program confusion.

Think I'll just use the default C partition.
    Thanks guys for your input.
  6. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

If you are conserned about privacy and protection from nasties, then take korrupt's advice and use a limited account for general use.. and also have a read of this FAQ as well.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic31474.html

Otherwise, good surfing habits and common sense should suffice.. :)

BTW.. i used to have my windows in D:\ partition once upon a time.. don't think it made much of a difference..
  7. Patosan

Patosan Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 49

Just had a quick look at that link about windows security ... it seems great.
    Thanks heaps !
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.