Instal XP to different drive, not C ?

By Patosan
Oct 9, 2006
  1. I read at "Radified" that installing windows to a drive other thah C gives an extra layer, albeit small, security layer. Since virtually everyone uses C crude viruses may give up if not finding windows there.

Has anyone done this ?
    Are there any other things I'd need to do in such a case ?
    I intend to multi-boot also ... does this make not using C easier or not ?
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

During the Windows installation you are asked where to put it. Choose a secondary drive and it will Just Work.

The bootloader will still be put on C:, so there will be no difference when multi-booting.
  3. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Posts: 716

The best way to keep your computer virus free is by using a "limited" acount for all your downloading, web surfing etc and only use your admin account for installing stuff etc.

4. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

Just remember that some programs default to C:\ directory or c:\windows (for referencing system files i guess?) when installing so don't forget to change it or tweak the registry (if needed) a bit..
  5. Patosan

Patosan TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 35

Now I tend to feel the small advantage of not having win installed in C would probably be outweighed by other potential and unecesary program confusion.

Think I'll just use the default C partition.
    Thanks guys for your input.
  6. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

If you are conserned about privacy and protection from nasties, then take korrupt's advice and use a limited account for general use.. and also have a read of this FAQ as well.

Otherwise, good surfing habits and common sense should suffice.. :)

BTW.. i used to have my windows in D:\ partition once upon a time.. don't think it made much of a difference..
  7. Patosan

Patosan TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 35

Just had a quick look at that link about windows security ... it seems great.
    Thanks heaps !
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.