Install HD from W98 computer in XP computer... will it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Install HD from W98 computer into XP computer... will it work?
I want to install my Western Digital HD from my old computer into my new Dell. The old computer used Windows 98. Will my new computer be able to read and use the the old hard drive files? I'm trying to save the troulbe of transfering all the files over to the new computer.
Thanks,
CM :grinthumb

Oh certainly. As long as the new system isn't like, strickly SATA or something. If there is a plug in the Dell, it'll work, just be sure to set your master/slave settings right.

XP can read your old FAT32 stuff, but 98 wouldn't be able to read the XP NTFS data.

Should work fine as long as the computer doesn't think your old drive is the master and try to boot off it!

HD from 98 to XP

chordman said:
Install HD from W98 computer into XP computer... will it work?
I want to install my Western Digital HD from my old computer into my new Dell. The old computer used Windows 98. Will my new computer be able to read and use the the old hard drive files? I'm trying to save the troulbe of transfering all the files over to the new computer.
Thanks,
CM :grinthumb
start up in safe mode and uninstall most drivers

Um, I think he wants to have the drive as a secondary, not boot off it into Windows 98. Correct?

Okay, well then you shouldn't have any issues if you want it as a 2nd drive. Just set the jumpers correct. And don't try to boot off it into the old 98!

cheers

2nd drive

Vigilante said:
Okay, well then you shouldn't have any issues if you want it as a 2nd drive. Just set the jumpers correct. And don't try to boot off it into the old 98!

cheers
no problem what so ever.I should'nt do to many things at once.The info you gave him should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back