install java in fedora.

By focus_water
Mar 29, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ive tried for 2 days now. im trying to install java. i tried following the instructions in the java site but it still didnt work. i ran the install package in the terminal and it created a file in the root folder. i remember i got it working in ubuntu one time but im pretty sure it is diffrent in fedora and i dont even remember how i did it anyway.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,284   +281

so; what steps did you complete and what went wrong on the last step?
  3. focus_water

focus_water Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 182

well i tried again and this is what i did. i put the rpm.bin file in usr/java i changed the permissions so it can be executed and i ran it in the terminal and it came up in with the License Agreement then it made jre-1_5_0_11-linux-i586.rpm and when i opened that it said /usr/java/jre-1_5_0_11-linux-i586.rpm is already installed.

i dont know if that means java is already installed but when i do the test on the java site it says it isnt installed.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,284   +281

rpm.bin is just a downloadable chuck
    /usr/java/jre-1_5_0_11-linux-i586.rpm is the installer package

... it said /usr/java/jre-1_5_0_11-linux-i586.rpm is already installed
    this is from the RPM installer point of view. Try to find the documentation,
    as I recall, you need an environment variable to point to the RTE location.
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

You are mixing up things.

On the command line, run the command "java". If it runs, you have Java installed. The Firefox/Opera/Konqueror/whwtever Java plugin that would let you run Java applets on websites is a separate thing to install.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.