TechSpot

install java in fedora.

By focus_water
Mar 29, 2007
  1. ive tried for 2 days now. im trying to install java. i tried following the instructions in the java site but it still didnt work. i ran the install package in the terminal and it created a file in the root folder. i remember i got it working in ubuntu one time but im pretty sure it is diffrent in fedora and i dont even remember how i did it anyway.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,024   +591

so; what steps did you complete and what went wrong on the last step?

3. focus_water

focus_water TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 168

well i tried again and this is what i did. i put the rpm.bin file in usr/java i changed the permissions so it can be executed and i ran it in the terminal and it came up in with the License Agreement then it made jre-1_5_0_11-linux-i586.rpm and when i opened that it said /usr/java/jre-1_5_0_11-linux-i586.rpm is already installed.

i dont know if that means java is already installed but when i do the test on the java site it says it isnt installed.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,024   +591

rpm.bin is just a downloadable chuck
    /usr/java/jre-1_5_0_11-linux-i586.rpm is the installer package

... it said /usr/java/jre-1_5_0_11-linux-i586.rpm is already installed
    this is from the RPM installer point of view. Try to find the documentation,
    as I recall, you need an environment variable to point to the RTE location.

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You are mixing up things.

On the command line, run the command "java". If it runs, you have Java installed. The Firefox/Opera/Konqueror/whwtever Java plugin that would let you run Java applets on websites is a separate thing to install.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.