Install new Mob, RAM, PSU into IBM aptiva need help...wont boot!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

welchs101

Hi all:

I am trying to upgrade an old IBM aptiva. I have installed a new mother board (Intell D865GVHZ), new ram (one 512MB stick of PC3200 DR 400MHz) and a new power supply (Thermaltake TR2-430W) and a CPU i got from a friend (P4 1.6GHz Pentium).

Problem:
I connected all the components. I double checked all the connections. With the case off (also tried with it on) and no monitor or keyboard connected, i flip the PSU switch, press the on button on the front and all i get is the DVD saying its busy.......i dont think i hear ANY beeps at all. Nothing. It just sits there. I do see the fans working (on the PSU and CPU). I read on line a few posts and people suggested resetting the CMOS by removing the battery on the MoB and waiting 10min. Now when i flip on the power supply it trys to start just as before but this time i have not pressed the front panel power switch. From other posts it does not soundlike the computer is "POSTing". I am at a losssss........can someone help?

David

take the board out of the case, insulate it on a a peice of dry wood, and try running it with just the CPU, RAM, PSU, keyboard, videocard, and monitor hooked up

still nothing....

I tried removing MOB and placing it on an insulating table with only the PSU, CPU, RAM, monitor and keyboard.................nothing happens. The CPU fan and the PSU fans all work but it just sits there.........no beeps.......what should it does configured in this way? Any other ideas.

David

CPU support list:
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/hz/hz_proc.htm

The P4 1.6Ghz is listed, however you need to have bios P11 or later. Could be your problem, but unlikely as P11 is fairly old (latest is P25).

Looks like DDR 400 ram is also supported on your board, so you should be fine there.

Sounds like you have to start troubleshooting parts one at a time. Something is toast by the looks of it. (Have you read the manual and followed it? All power connections to the mobo are connected?)

If you have the spare parts to troubleshoot with, then start with a different PSU. Next a different CPU. Then try that CPU in another system etc. If you don't have the spare parts, it may be time to bring it in to a pro.

Turn it on with no memory, you should get a beep code. If not I'd think CPU, but the mobo or PSU are still under question. Make sure the four pin power for the CPU is connected. Auh, and the case speaker.

did you connect all the nessesary power cables? if so, you're probably going to be getting a replacement motherboard.

got further this time

Ok....i installed a new mother board and a new CPU. I was afraid the cpu i was given from a friend was bad. I now connected everything back up and i still dont hear any beeps but i see things on the monitor now so at least i know things are happening.

I get this error:

"Reboot and Select proper boot device Or insert boot media in selected boot device"

Any ideas?

David

You may not have a system speaker in your case, or perhaps you don't have it connected. That may explain why you are getting no system beeps.

It sounds like your system is able to post. When you turn on the computer try and get into your bios. Read your manual to find out what key it is that gets you into the bios but it is usually the "del" key. When you turn on your system, start tapping the "del" key every 3 seconds until your bios comes up.

Where you able to get in?

saga continues

I think i can get in.......manual says to press F2...........

If i can get in .......what then?

david

It sounds like either you don't have windows installed, or it is not recognizing your hard drive.

You need to first confirm that it is recognizing your hard drive. Is it SATA? In the bios go into the hardware section and see what it is listing for your storage devices.

If your hard drive is showing up, then find the setting for "boot priority devices" or something like that and make sure your hard drive is listed, as well as your optical drive.

I'd recommend installing windows from scratch. You are not hoping to use your old windows installation are you? Usually a bad idea. If you want to try, put your XP setup CD in the drive and run a windows repair on it.

i will try

Thanks for the info.

I dont care if i need to re-install windows.

I dont think i have sata....its an old hard drive.

It may take a while to find the disk.

In your bios, what is it showing for your primary IDE device? Assuming you don't have a SATA drive, it SHOULD be showing your hard drive here. Is it?

I can get in bios

Hi,

I can get in the bios by pressing F2.

I dont know if it sees the Hard drive or DVD.

I checked the boot order.....i think.........
1st is the floopy
2nd is "3M H"......dont know what this means?

How do i know if the MOB sees all the peripheral devices? Also, any idea on what "3M H"?

David

Not sure what that "3M H" is. Could be your hard drive, or it could be an optical drive?

Anyways, for now the important thing is whether or not your hard drive is showing up as your "primary IDE device" (you only have one hard drive in there, right?).

Then after that, we need you to get your XP cd, and start the intall process.

HD not showing up.......i think

I also did not know what the "3M H". So i disconected the power to the optical drive. I then rebooted and went into the bios. The "3M H" did not show up. So i concluded two things from this:
1) "3M H" was the optical drive
2) The HD is not being recognized for some reason.

Any ideas?

THere are jumpers on the back of the hard drive........which one should be jumpered?

Could there be something else wrong? I re-checked the ribbon cable from the MOB to the HD and it looks ok. I also re-checed the power coming from the PSU to the HD....it looks ok.

David

You should set the jumpers to "cable select".

But let's back up a second first. Where are you looking in your bios? Are you looking at the boot priority, or are you looking at the IDE devices?

We need to know if your hard drive is showing up as one of the IDE devices or not.

if its only one hdd, then master jumper setting, on IDE1 or IDE0 (if your numbers start from 0)

try other ribbon cable and try the hdd on anohter machine

is there more words/letters after 3m h?

info

Looking at my bios here is what i see:

Under drive configuration

I see

ATA/IDE configuration ..........[enhanced]

Under boot priority i see

Only the floopy disk listed.

david

info

I checked the bios again.

Here is what i found.

I found a drive configuration...........

"ATA/IDE configuration [enhanced]"

but i cant seem to see the hard drive.......

david

There are many types of bios, so I can't tell you exactly what yours will say, but it should tell you what IDE devices you have installed somewhere.

Let's try a few things:

1. Double check your connections to the hardrive from both the power supply and the IDE ribbon to your motherboard. Switch the cables as well (it may be a ripped ribbon or broken power cable).

2. Reset your CMOS. Read your owners manual on how to do this. Your motherboard may have jumpers for doing this, or you may need to remove the battery from the motherboard for a few minutes. Your manual will give you details.

3. Put an XP cd in the cd drive and start the installation process. See how far you can get, as maybe the drive is actually installed correctly and you are fine.

still nothing

Hi,

I reverified the connections.......still nothing.

I swapped the cable going to the DVD player (which does show up in the bios) to the Hard drive and the hard drive still does not show up. I also tried the IDE cable going to the DVD and connected it to the hard drive and it still does not show up.

I tried resettting the cmos by removing battery for 30min........still nothing.

I tried loading the windows install cd ........nothing............i still get the "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert....." message.

Any ideas? When i loaded the install disk into the dvd shouldnt something have come up on the screen?

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back