Install Win98 on 2nd harddrive after winXP installed of 1st drive???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
I have WIN XP Home Edition on hard disk one. It is formatted NTFS.
I have a 2nd hard disk formatted FAT32 partitioned for 30 G.bytes.
I have WIN 98 on CR-ROM. I cannot figure a way to install WIN 98 on 2nd hard disk. I cannot get the compatibility routine on WIN XP to work with some old software. If I could get to the 2nd hard disk, load WIN 98 and run the old software on the 2nd hard disk it would be a big help.

My other option is to get another computer and load it with WIN 98 and the old software. It seems such a waste not to use the 2nd hard disk.

Thank you, HMSchmitter hschmitter@cox.net

Win98 can only be installed on the first partition of the first disk. I suspect that you'll be unable to install winXP on this second hard disk, unless you use the second hdd as a stand alone master to do so, and swap disks when you want to swap versions of windows. It's usually pretty highly recommended also that when dual booting the two, win98 is installed first to prevent problems.

If your winXP drive is formatted with the FAT32 filesystem, you may be able to install 98 alongside it on the same drive. If it's formmatted with the NTFS filesystem though, you won't be able to install 98 on the same drive.

Merry Xmas to you also, and welcome to techspot.

true - or you could wait untill you next re-install XP, or follow my suggestion above (perfectly and especially viable if you get yourself one of those drive swapping thingies that fit in the 5 1/4" bays where the cd drives go).

Not taht it matters of course, but my names not John :D but thanks for the appreciation and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back