Install windows 2000 on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to install windows 2000 pro on my old dell latitude laptop. the problem is that after the system uploads the four floppy boot disks it tries to complete the install from the cd-rom. I can not have both connected at once, and I can not swap them during the install. how do I get the install done. I am two seconds from chucking this thing out a window. some one please tell me what I need to do!

You could start with using more informative titles for your posts in future!
Use a W98SE bootfloppy (from www.bootdisk.com if you have not got one) to partition your laptop HD in 2 partitions. One big one at the front (max 32GB) and a small (2GB or more, depends on HD-size) one at the end.
Format the big one: format c: /s /u and the small one format d: /u
Copy the xcopy.exe file from the floppy onto the C:\ drive.
Then boot from HD with the CD-drive installed. Now copy the whole CD onto the second partition. Use xcopy E:*.* D: /s /e where E: is the CD and D: is the small partition at the end of the HD.
Then try one of these:
d:\{w2k-source}\setup.exe

or if that does not work:
d:\{w2k-source}\i386\winnt.exe ==>> [this would be my guess]

There is also a d:\{w2k-source}\i386\winnt32.exe but that won't run under DOS.

Install W2K on the C-drive, change the file-format to NTFS if you like, but on older smaller HDs like in that laptop, FAT32 works better.

help with win2k install

I did as you said and that is not working . when I try to frmat d I am told that format is not supported on drive d:. also I only have at the moment a 6 gb hard drive. what else can I do?

At A:/ ..type Fdisk...create one primary partition..reboot and format...then load the OS from D:/....winnt.exe or winnt32.exe...

triplite is correct. In all my enthousiasm to instruct you, I overlooked that possibility.
But that will only work if your W2K-CD is bootable. Use xxx\i386\winnt.exe to install.

If NOT bootable, make the 2 partitions 5GB and 700MB or whatever is left.
Your CDrom may be a hard-wired D-drive, so first partition would be C: and second (700MB) would then be E:
You cannot format a CD (...not supported...)

I managed to format the hard drive using the win98se bootdisk and your instructions. I made the partions, c: 4.7gb d: 1.3gb or so . I can't seem to get this thing to read from the cd-rom. also there is no option to boot from the cd-rom on the setup bios list. this seems to be the problem. when I turn on the computer with the cd-rom connected(win2kcd inside), it loads a win98se screen then goes to a command promt.

C:\>

the cd-rom lights up and I can hear it spinnig, but nothing happens. I tried copying the four boot floppys to d:drive,then to the c: drive. I restarted the computer and got nothing here as well. what else is there?

Your HDD is too small to worry about Partitions...just fdisk it again..set Primary, reboot, format and load the OS.

Re-boot as you did with the CD drive in.
At the C: prompt type D: and hit enter
From D: type setup and hit enter.

If you did in fact make 2 partitions then instead:
At C: type E: and enter
At E: type setup and hit enter.

This should run the install follow the instructions and your good to go.

patio. :cool:

Or, as I said, run the [CD:]\xxx\i386\winnt.exe to install.
I don't think the Setup command works from DOS.
winnt.exe is for 'new' install from DOS.
winnt32.exe is used to 'upgrade' from within a running e.g. W98.

I am thinknig that I need a driver for the cd-rom drive. there are no extra drives(e:,f:,g:,etc...)when the cd-rom is connected to the computer.a: and b: are the floppy drive and c: and d: are the hard drive partitions. even if I start the computer with cd-rom connected, I still get nothing more than a flickering light and some spinning noises. I tried dell.com, but the cd-rom has a part # from a lamp satand or something(thanks ebay). no help there.

Before you boot from that W98 floppy, on another PC create these 2 files:
autoexec.txt with only one line:
c:\dos\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:E

config.txt with these lines:
device=c:\dos\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff -->> /testmem: off without space after testmem:
device=c:\dos\oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
files=30
buffers=10
dos=high,umb
stacks=9,256

Copy both .txt files to your W98 bootfloppy.
Boot from the W98 floppy, you will be in A:>
Type in each of the following lines, and hit the Enter button:
c:
md dos
cd dos
copy a:mscdex.exe
copy a:himem.sys
copy a:eek:akcdrom.sys --> copy a: oakcdrom.sys without space after a:
cd \
copy a:xcopy.exe
copy a:smartdrv.exe
copy a:autoexec.txt
ren autoexec.txt *.bat
copy a:config.txt
ren config.txt *.sys

Take the floppy out, switch off, put the CDdrive in and reboot from harddisk
(you DID format c: /s, didn't you?)
You will be in C:> now, with CD-support.
Put the W2K cd in.
type in smartdrv and hit enter
type in xcopy e:\*.* d: /s /e and hit enter
where e: is the cdrom and d: is the small formatted partition
That copies the W2K contents onto the D-drive.
When done, take the CD out and type/hit enter:
d:
cd i386
winnt

and you are on your way.
Edited by Poertner_1274: Removed smilies to make files copy and pasteable

I tried this and it did not work. I could not find the files mscdex.exe,xcopy.exe on the win98se boot floppy. was I supposed to get them from someplace else an copy them to the floppy? are they part of the win98se boot sequence? I am lost now for sure

Dude..you,ve gotten simple ,solid advice now...maybe you need to get some "hands on" from an experianced friend ???..once you get it once, you,ll always have it..;)

Then take the finger out and download them from somewhere else or ask a friend.
Ever heard of Google?
Make sure they are W98 version files.

F.N.DellP.O.S. said:
I tried this and it did not work. I could not find the files mscdex.exe,xcopy.exe on the win98se boot floppy. was I supposed to get them from someplace else an copy them to the floppy? are they part of the win98se boot sequence? I am lost now for sure

If that portable shipped with Win 98 I doubt it will allow W2K to install without some core update files.
Dell portables like all major companies utilize proprietary Bios and setup software.
Some of these files MUST be installed before an O/S can be installed !
You really should spend some time at Dell web support/downloads and find out what bios files they have for that model.Confirm that" they" have provided a number of files for win 2k. If they do, download them all and print the corresponding instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back