Install Windows XP without supplying CD key

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is a theory that if that OEM cd is used on the exact same motherboard and specs it could have the CD-key ID inside the motherboard already..

No harm in trying to see if it'll work or not.. maybe try calling the manufacturer up and see if they'll be kind enough to supply it again, but if they can't then i think only a new retail and cd can help.

If you have a legal copy of xp call MS read off the numbers on the disc they will get a key for you
that does not mean you can activate if oem must be same MB of first install

There is no Product Key on the CD. You must purchase a Product Key to install Windows. The CD installation program uses an encryption algorithm to verify that the Product Key entered by the user is valid. The installation CD is worthless. It's the Product Key you pay for.

Now if you already have a valid installation of Windows and want to run a repair installation or re-install it, there are freeware programs out there that can retrieve your Product Key from your current installation. Get the Product Key then run the CD installation program and enter that PK and you're fine.

windows xp help center tells you how to activate windows without a cd key, for example if it's oem. to do it this way you have to install it as the 30 day trial after which you have to activate. i can't remember what you should search for but this site has exactly the same writing all over it. but instead of clicking phone customer services etc, click on activate over internet.

i hope i don't get told off for this because that site is exactly the same as the xp help center, i checked.

The Windows activation is part of the installation process but has nothing to do with the Product Key. When you start the installation process, that's when it prompts you for a Product Key. After the installation process, then the activation software kicks in which is performed over the Internet or by phoning a call centre. You cannot use Windows without completing the activation.

I don't know of any 30 trial period without a Product Key. As far as I know, you either buy a licensed copy of Windows or you don't.

oh yeah i'm thinking of when the thing comes up that says "this key has already been used on the total allowable amount of machines" or whatever it says. it's been a while since i last installed xp ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back