Installation file won't finish install

Status
Not open for further replies.

maXimus4444

Hey everyone,

I am trying to install Mavis Beacon Typing software on 25 machines but I'm running into some problems. I run the setup file (MS_Setup.exe). It runs through copying all the files and it gets to 100% then as soon as it hits 100% it attempts to execute another file. The file is 401comupd.exe, it is a Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor.

When the MS_Setup.exe installer attempts to execute the file it displays a dialog box that says: "Could not execute the external program - Path/401comupd.exe"

I tried running the 401comupd.exe separately from the installer and when it is executed it displays a dialog box which says: "This system does not need this update." When you click "OK" the dialog box disappears and the program is terminated.

I'm assuming that when the installer(MS_Setup) attempts to run the 401comupd.exe file it gets the same result as when you run it separately from the installer. Without the completion of the 401comupd.exe file, the installation will not be successful.

Any ideas on either how to get around the execution call to the external file or any way to complete the execution of the 401comupd.exe file?

Computer specs:
Pentium Dual-Core 2140 @ 1.60 GHz
WD 80 Gig HDD
ATAPI DVD disc drive
1 Gig Ram

The usual problem is the version of 401comupd.exe that is installed... combined with the large size of the network. Microsoft is involved here. They know of the problem and report it has been corrected, for most systems, by the version of 401Comupd.exe now available from Microsoft's web site. This version installs versions 4.72.3611.1900 or later of Comctl32.dll. You might benefit from downloading this latest version of 401Comupd.exe.
Let us know if it does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back