Installation of printer.

By greenpea
Jun 13, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. not sure if this is the right place to post this so forgive me if im mistaking.

i recently got a printer (hp photosmart p1000) and the installation cd does not work, as in it says that ...the system requirements are not fullfilled or something along those lines. i downloaded the installation of the drive from the internet which was supposed to work with xp (which is what i have) but it does not.
    pardon me for expressing myself a bit weirdly, i dont know the proper terms for those things so i hope you know what i mean.
    any ideas what i can do?
    thanks.
  2. CCT

CCT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,556

3. greenpea

greenpea Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

This didnt help...
    i followed the instuctions, disconnected the printer, installed 3511_enu_w2k_xp_release.exe and after it finished istalling it just made a 'bing' sound and that was all there was. so i tried to install it using the cd and it says that "the driver is not supported on widnows 2000" eventhough i have xp. if i then connect the printer, the 'new...object was found" thing pops up (i use usb) and if i then try to run the installation of new software/blah thing it tells me that some INF-file cannot be found .....
    i ahve no idea what this all is about D=
  4. CCT

In the printer folder, right-click on the name of the printer and then click Properties.

Click the Ports tab.

What does it show for connection? LPT1 or USB ?

edit : I should clarify, that's the printer folder in Control panel
  5. greenpea

it says USB
    appearently what my problem is is that im missing the setup information... so im missing a *.inf file...

thank you for helping me
  6. CCT

So, did it finally install?

You know that is a zip file and needs to be unzipped first, right?

You gotta check carefully where it says it is going to unzip to so you can help Windoze find it.

:)
  7. greenpea

im not completely new with computers, its just here i dont understand what the problem is. the file was not a zip file, it was just .exe . after it installed nothing happend AT ALL so no, it didnt install itself. i tried everything there is possibly to try.

so whats with that .inf file? do you have any idea?
  8. greenpea

aaah it works now.
    i got the installation for windows ME .....
    i wonder why this works so on xp.

thanks for your time
  9. CCT

Usually when a site says a file needs unzipping I believe it is a zip - in this case they used an old instruction set it appears - In many cases 2000 and xp can use the same drivers - this is a weirdness that their xp driver doesn't work in this case; nice you sorted it out anyway.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.