Installation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to install ATI Radeon video card into my computer, but why does it keep saying that the length of the specified directory path plus the installation folder name exceeds 88 characters, it told me to go back and shorten the the files below the limit and try again. I have little knowledge about computers, please kindly assist me.

When you add up the names of the folders as you drill down to the final folder for both the target folder and the installation folder, they must add up to more than 88 characters. Where are you running the graphics driver file from? Try placing it somewhere on your C: drive and run it from there. If it installs successfully, you can go back and delete it.

I did that, but it keeps telling me to shorten the names of both folders to below 88 characters. How do I do this?

Follow this procedure:

To install drivers from the internet:

go into Windows Explorer, left click on Desktop, then File, then New and then Folder - name the folder XXXDrivers (where XXX = type, eg, AudioDrivers)

go to the site for your driver, find the RIGHT one for your mobo and OS,(click on the nearest site to you if appropriate) and then download button - when asked where to 'save' the download specify your desktop folder XXXDrivers and wait until the download is complete.

Once it is done, clear your screen and click on the desktop folder and then on the file inside - if it is a zip or rar file it will need to be unzipped or unpacked - make sure if you are asked to specify where to unzip/unpack to tell it to do so to the XXXDrivers folder.

Once you are done that, uninstall the old drivers for the device and then select the device and specify update drivers and direct the search to the folder you made (don't let Windows do it).

Basically, you get a 'short' string re file folder names, ie, C:\Desktop\Audiodrivers.

Another way of putting it is you are not trying to shorten the name of any particular folder but rather shortening the "string" of folders. The shorter the string, the fewer folder names and the fewer the total characters in that string. Folders within folders within folders within folders, etc. is your long string.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back