TechSpot

Installations all failing...HELP

By ecosynergy
Oct 5, 2006
  1. Yesterday my comp crashed, and a disk scan reveiled several corrupt files, which were removed. Unfortunately, they were mostly .dll files (or even taskmgr.exe), so almost every program I try to run is coming up with errors. By downloading several of the missing dll files, I fixed some of the problems, but not all.

Most problematic is that almost any installation I try (including windows installer) fails without telling me why.

What can I do to get everything to work again?
    System restores didn't work, and when I try to boot into safe mode, the computer freezes...

Is there any way to do a scan for the typical windows files that I should have, so that I can see which ones are missing?

Please help, Ive been working on this for hours with no progress...

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Try doing a Windows repair as per this thread HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. ecosynergy

ecosynergy TS Rookie Topic Starter

Cant boot from CD...

Im trying to boot from a windows CD (changed the boot order to have optical drive first), but it doesnt seem to be working.

For some strange reason, I have both Windows XP and Windows 98 installed on my computer (happened after I got the motherboard replaced).

Could that be the problem? How can I remove Windows 98 without damaging anything?

thanks

4. howard_hopkinso

I don`t know why that`s happening.

Try this.

Boot into windows, then click start/run and type sfc /scannow into the runbox and press the enter key. You will need to have your Windows cd handy. Note the space between sfc and the forward slash.

This will search your os files and should replace any that are damaged or missing.

Regards Howard :)

5. ecosynergy

Cant boot from a CD

Im trying to do a repair install of windows XP, but for some reason my computer wont give me the option to boot from a CD upon startup. I have already made sure that the optical drive is set before the hard drive in boot order in my BIOS.

Does anyone have any suggestions???

6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

New CDROM inorder?

7. howard_hopkinso

I have merged your new thread into this one as it`s still all connected to the same subject.

Did you try the sfc /scannow command I suggested? If so, what were the results?

8. ecosynergy

I tried the SFC scan, and it ran for a while, but the only messages that popped up were for a Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD. The OS CD I have doesnt have SP2 on it, so I assumed those messages were for files not on the CD, and just clicked cancel. Other than that, the scan ran, and nothing happened.

Should I try to get a CD with SP2 on it?

Thanks Howard

9. howard_hopkinso

That may be an idea.

However, providing your Windows disk is bootable, you should be able to boot from it.

Do you have a card reader installed? If so, try disconnecting it and see if you can boot from the Windows disk. If not, try changing the boot order in your bios to your other optical drive. With your Windows disk in the drive save and exit bios. See if you get the press any key to boot from cd message.

If none of that helps, I suggest you open your case and check the jumper settings on your optical drives. One should be set to master and be connected to the end of the ide cable. The other should be set to slave and connected to the middle of the ide cable. Both should be on your secondary ide channel.

Let us know the results please.

10. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

I've found a common reason for corrupt files and different installs with errors is failing memory.

Just to rule it out, I'd suggest www.memtest.org and let it run overnight.

11. ecosynergy

The problem with the first suggestion is that I have a notebook, so I only have one optical drive, and openning up the computer would prove rather difficult.

Also, Im kinda of new at this, so I have some questions:
    1) whats a card reader, and how do I check if I have one?
    2) with memtest86, how do I use the program. Do I download the .iso file, burn it to a disk, and try to boot from that disk?

Thanks

12. howard_hopkinso

I didn`t realise you had a laptop, so forget the card reader and opening it up bit.

The Memtest pre-Built iso should be unzipped once and the resulting file should be burned to cd as an image. Your burning software will tell you how to burn an image. Once you`ve done that, with the cd in your drive, reboot your computer and Memtest should run automatically. Let it run for at least seven full passes.

If it does, then your Windows cd should also run automatically. The fact that it doesn`t may mean you`ve got a problem with the Windows cd itself.

let us know the outcome please.

13. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

1) card reader is a device that has slots and let you plug in various memory cards like ones used in digital cameras, pdas etc. (eg memory sticks, SD, MMC, XD etc)
    2)Yep. The .iso is for a bootable CD, which you use your favorite CD burning software to make. Boot off it and when it loads it will look like some blue DOS screen. Just let it run its test for overnight as rick suggested.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.