Installed a HP camera, now XP can't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sil

Installed a HP camera, now XP keeps rebooting

I just installed a HP Photosmart 320 camera to my other PC (w/ SP2). I just plugged it into the USB port, didn't use the CD or download the drivers (bad, I know!!). It said the camera was installed and ready to use. But the PC rebooted on me and it won't stop rebooting. I can't get into the desktop or Safe Mode.

At one point I got a blue screen saying to remove recently installed hardware or go into the BIOS settings and disable cashing/shadowing (said something like that). Prob: HP support told me I can't remove the camera without getting into the desktop. And what I found in the BIOS was something called "CPU L1 & L2 Cache" - I disabled it, but it doesn't fix this.

I also tried using my recovery CD to do a system restore - no go. I got a blue screen again.

I'd like to remove these HP drivers without doing a format. Can anyone help? :blackeye:

The cache's enabled. Here's the error msg if it helps:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to see if you have adequate disk space. If a device is identifies in the Stop message, disable the drive or check the manufacturer for device updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components restart your computer, press F8 to select Adavanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X1FSED62E, 0XF6C9F6F0, 0X00000000)

*** win32k.sys - Address BF8D4907 BASE AT BF800000, dATEsTAMP 422511A2

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory demp complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for furthur assistance."

Edit:
- I tried booting with "Last known config," didn't work.
- Do I need an XP CD? (I really don't want to reformat/reinstall XP, just want to remove this HP thing :suspiciou)
- If I try and make a boot disk (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314079, can I copy these three files from another PC (w/ SP2)?

- I get this blue screen when I try a sys restore from the recovery CD:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initilization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back