Installed a new CPU and CPU Cooler, now monitor won't display anything on startup

So I just installed an i5-4690k and a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo on a H97m anniversary motherboard. Now that I have it all back together it's doing stuff I've never seen it do. It loops power on and power off, my keyboard and mouse lights wont come on while their plugged into the USB ports but my phone will charge when plugged in, my monitor won't show any picture. All the fans and lights are running fine and I've double checked to make sure everything is plugged in, but nothing will display and my peripherals aren't showing lights. My monitor is using the DVI port on my R9 280X. So I took the mobo out and just plugged in one stick of RAM, the HDD, the cpu and the monitor. It still wont display anything but it doesn't power cycle anymore, but will still turn itself on soon after I flip the PSU switch. I just have no clue what to do or what could be wrong, the only thing I can think of is that I somehow fried my motherboard during install, but I don't remember having any static and I was sure to touch a metallic surface before I started fiddling with it to discharge.

My guess could be wrong, but with some stuff almost working, but a lot not - well, I'm guessing that you have the original version BIOS still in place and that an upgrade to the BIOS is needed to get the motherboard to recognize your new cpu. Do you have any record of the BIOS version? Can you get the BIOS up on the screen?

If you don't, can you put the old cpu back in? If you can, load optimized defaults, check current BIOS version, check manufacturer about BIOS version for your new cpu and how to update BIOS using old cpu before installing new one.

Also see: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hardcore-hardware-upgrades-how-to-install-or-replace-your-own-cpu/

Back