Installed New Heatsink, Comp Wont Work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

God someone give me some help! I installed a new heatsink, i boot the thing up and i hear this weird buzzing noise. The computer wouldnt boot up or anything. Then i started smelling a horrible smokey smell. I killed the power and began again to take off the heatsink.

I took off the heatsink, cleaned the core of thermal paste, and checked to see if the core was chipped or anything. Nothing was wrong, so again, I attached the heatsink and booted up.

Samething happened again, computer started to make a weird buzzing noise and wouldn't boot up.

Next thing i come here and ask you smart people for help.

Thanks,

Nick

:rolleyes:

You left out one key part to your post: WHAT DO YOU SEE?! When you boot up the computer, does the screen show anything? if not, it most likely means you've fried your processor.

Only thing i see is my usual blue message "Power saving" and it keeps doing that.

Oh ****, if i did fry my processor (hopefully not!) It's only $65 to replace... WOW! When i bought it was $160 or so.

(*edited by mod)

Originally posted by Nick
  • weird buzzing noise.... wouldnt boot up.... horrible smokey smell.
    [*] Next thing i come here and ask you smart people for help.
  • Originally posted by Nick
    i have a 3.93 GPA,
    Very advanced in computers being a tech support agent,
    It was a joke
    *** child forums.
Nick, you are not contributing or adding anything productive by playing these games.

What are you talking about

He's talking about your continuous profanity on this site. You've already been told that it isn't welcome yet you still do it, why? You've already said that your a computer tech support guy and really smart, then you should be able to figure out that if you smell something smoking that you've probably fried a chip. At least this is usually the case.

Maybe the heatsink isn't touching the chip core properly and the chip is getting really hot really fast. Again, just a thought. Always double check EVERYTHING when you do something like changing a heatsink. Make sure your getting good contact between the core and thermal paste.

By saying stuff like:

[qoute]Oh ****, if i did fry my processor (hopefully not!) It's only $65 to replace... WOW! When i bought it was $160 or so. [/quote]

it doesn't make you sound smart and doesn't contribute anything to the forums. The thread was going fine until you posted this, then you saw that uncleel stepped in to remind you about your actions.

Don't think I'm against you or anything because I actually do use the same cooling technique as you because I'm too poor and lazy to buy and install more fans in my case. ;) Just try and not curse, and post informative threads.

Yes i finally found out what happened, i fried my mobo. I had my other old amd and just did a process of elimination.

First i thought it was my cpu cuz there was a little chip... ended up working fine. Next thing i thought it was my power supply. Hooked that up to my other comp and it was fine.

Next thing i did was try running it again with every thing to see if it was just temporary. Finally i see a little chip on the mobo smoking so it ended up being my mobo. I ran to the store, grabbed a new 266 ddr amd mobo, and hooked it up within an hour.

Cost me some cash though ;'(

Grow up a little, please. I'm 16 and I don't feel the need to swear on a board with young children after being warned multiple times to stop.

Have more respect on this board, so before you go disrespecting everyone here, look around you. Do you not understand that you WILL be banned if you continue to swear.

I hope you solve all your computer problems yourself because frankly I'm getting tired of trying to help an inconsiderate and disrespecting person.

Oh ****, if i did fry my processor (hopefully not!) It's only $65 to replace... WOW! When i bought it was $160 or so.

(*edited by mod)

*cough* Swear, please?

Welcome to TechSpot forums

Tough luck about the motherboard, maybe you swore at it once too often ;)

Did you not leap on the opportunity to upgrade when this happened... Not think about going from a 266 DDR to a 333 DDR with USB2.0, ATA133 etc? Usually this is what I do if some hardware blows up/dies randomly on me.

Re: Welcome to TechSpot forums

Originally posted by Arris
Tough luck about the motherboard, maybe you swore at it once too often ;)

Did you not leap on the opportunity to upgrade when this happened... Not think about going from a 266 DDR to a 333 DDR with USB2.0, ATA133 etc? Usually this is what I do if some hardware blows up/dies randomly on me.

Its an unforunate experience when it does, but Arris is right. Its the perfect time to upgrade. The way I believe it, its your machine crying out for a new motherboard, memory and chip.

I think of my machine as an extension of my right hand, and if it wants, it wants.....

But i got no money ;'(

Yes i was thinking about doing that but i decided not too because my birthday is coming up and im gonna build myself a new rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back