installed new mobo, need help on fixing the os

Status
Not open for further replies.

just-sumguy

Well I had an Emachine that had the power supply go out and fry the mother board. I got a new mother board and hooked everything back up. Now my problem is that when the hard drive tries to boot up I get the screen saying that windows encountered an improper shut down and gives me the option of starting safe more or normally...etc. So when I do that the computer just restarts.

From what I have gathered looking around this site I need to get a retail version of windows xp and reinstalll/ fix the OS so that the hard drive will be bootable. But what Im concerend with is that in doing so I will loose data that I have stored in the Documents & Settings folder, which I dont have backed up. Is there a way to get into the hard drive and move these files prior to reinstalling the OS? Would setting up a new partiton so I can install the OS there be a good idea? Any suggestions?

System is rebooting because of drivers. You cannot change them now, so reinstallation is the only solution.
You can use Recovery Console from install cd and manually copy the files
or
just install os as usual but without formating. Just choose .. i dunno 3rd option when it's asking about formating partition. Programs may not working anymore but all data should be where they are. You must remember to copy data after installation from old to your new home directory.

emde said:
System is rebooting because of drivers. You cannot change them now, so reinstallation is the only solution.
You can use Recovery Console from install cd and manually copy the files
or
just install os as usual but without formating. Just choose .. i dunno 3rd option when it's asking about formating partition. Programs may not working anymore but all data should be where they are. You must remember to copy data after installation from old to your new home directory.

So if I get a retail version of windows, and perform an installation without formating, the files/folders I have in Documents & Settings will not get deleted?

Yes, if you don't format or change partitions. New installation will create new folders in Documents&Settings, eg.
Administrator <- old account with your files
Administrator.2JD2JKD <- new account

another option

Put in a second Hard drive, and install windows on it, then use your original Hard drive as a slave and all the files will be on the 2nd Drive (D: most likely). You can slide all your documents into folders on your C: drive and then take the D: drive out if you want.

Well I was able to get another hard drive and I installed XP Sp2 on it. I slaved the old hard drive off of the new one. I was able to copy/move most of the stuff I had on the old one to the new one, but I cant access the files/folders that I have in the Documents and Settings folder on the old drive. It keeps saying that access is denied. On my old drive's windows XP I had a password set up to log on to windows, is this possibly keeping me from accessing the D&S folder? Im able to view the directory but I cant open up the sub folders to get to the files that I want to copy/move. I have tried setting the sharing & security properties on these but still no access.

Any sugestions?

just-sumguy said:
So if I get a retail version of windows, and perform an installation without formating, the files/folders I have in Documents & Settings will not get deleted?

You DO NOT need to buy retail version of xp to get it up and running. You should really have bought the oem version with the motherboard as you may not be able to buy it on its own (goes against Microsoft's EULA).
It be possible however, that if you present the receipt for your newly acquired motherboard to however you want to buy oem from, they may then sell it to you.
Retail is about double the cost of oem, so its worth going for oem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back