Installed new p4 CPU and now computer will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have just installed a new P4 3ghz, Prescott 800FSB with HT, cpu in my mecury/kobian pvt800x-l motherboard. The motherboard manual says that it can handle 800FSB and Hyper Threading, it did not say anything about speed limitations or anything. Anyway, Whenever I put the new cpu in I can power up but nothing happens, the power comes on but the power LED does not even light up, my cd drive doesnt power up, no video display, but all of the fans power up. The hard drives do not sound like they are reading either.

I have cleared the bios several times and still nothing, but whenever I install the old celeron 2.4, 400FSB, the system starts up perfectly. I have a fairly good 480watt PSU in it so it shouldn't be a power problem. I am just wondering if it is a bad CPU, so I can take it back.

Here is a link to my motherboard specs, http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboards_d/Kobian/PVT800X-L/

Thanks for the help in advance.

DX1

There doesnt appear to be a bios upgrade for this board, but upon further inspection. i do not think that this board supports prescott cpus. I bought another board that will for sure. The new board should arrive this week sometime and hopefully this will solve the problem.

i wasnt aware that p4 and p4 prescott cpus were different.

Damn intel, i should have went with AMD I could have got a really good CPU with a motherboard for the same price as the Intel P4 cpu.

Oh well.
\
Thanks anyway

DX1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back