TechSpot

Installed New Power Supply / CD Drives not recognized

By DaTBoYJoe
Jun 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Dell Dimension 5100 Desktop computer that the power supply recently went on so I replaced it and now the computer is not recognizing the CD/DVD drives?

When I first installed it and powered the computer on it said I had a Floppy Diskette Seek Failure . I don't have any floppy drives installed so I disabled it through the BIOS and now I noticed the drives aren't working . I have two drives installed one to play dvds and burn cds and the other is a dvd burner . Both of the drives power up and you can hear the disk spinning but nothing happens and the computer doest show I have them?
  2. hood6558

hood6558 TS Booster Posts: 292   +44

The old PSU may have taken out the motherboard when it fried - fairly common, especially with the cheap O.E.M. units used by Dell. Also, some Dell boards are proprietary, which means the connectors may not be standard ATX - Check the pinout on the 24 pin ATX connector to make sure it matches on both PSUs.
  3. DaTBoYJoe

DaTBoYJoe TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

I looked in to the PSU before I bought a new one and the one for my dell system is not a proprietary PSU so it should be ok . I'm checking the pins now but everything on the computer works fine it's just not finding the cd /dvd drives

Thank You
  4. DaTBoYJoe

DaTBoYJoe TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

The wires match up perfect , Well except the o.e.m PSU has 2 white wires on top the new PSU has 2 yellow wires there .... Othere then that they match perfect

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.