TechSpot

Installed Sygate firewall and now it's crashing!

By neil_ski
Aug 15, 2005
  1. Hi
    I installed Sygate firewall because I was having trouble connecting to sites and someone suggested that I try a different firewall.
    Well I installed it, and the computer crashes whenever I try to start it.
    I tried to do an uninstall, and it crashed.
    I tried to put the file into the recycle bin. Now I fear I've made it worse.
    I did a system restore and forgot that the programs stay and don't get deleted with the restore.
    I've messed it up good and am now crying for help. (ha ha whah!)

Can anyone shed some light on this??

2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

start windows in safe mode, and see if you can uninstall sygate.

3. neil_ski

neil_ski TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 51

Yea I tried to go to Add/Remove Programs but it said I can't do it in safe mode.
    I think I got over excited and tried to put the file in the recycle bin. But it still was popping up and crashing.
    The link in the start menu was still there. I then tried to zip the file from the start menu. It stopped popping up.

I then tried opening/unzipping it with the start menu link but it said something like "link no longer works ".

So it appears to be disabled, but did I just mess things up by trying to erase it in the incorrect way? Will there be more trouble to come?

4. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

you can restore the file from the recycle bin, if it is still seen there. you cna slo try running the msconfig utility and remove sygate from your services and startup lists. i can't say that i have ever tried this, or that it will work.

5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Did you completely UNinstall the previous firewall, before you installed Sygate?
    Did you also disable XP's firewall?
    You are the first person that I hear has problems with Sygate.
    Delete the files that you have messed with.
    Then reinstall Sygate, and uninstall it using Add/Remove Programs if it still does not work.

6. Spike

Spike TS Rookie Posts: 2,371

OMG! I sincerely hope that they aren't getting Sygate ready for ownership by symantec (of Norton fame).

Seriously though, I've never known anyone to have a problem with sygate, apart from one previous version I had which didn't appreciate file transfer over msn on a shared internet connection, while another account was signed in on the machine sharing the connection. That's a fairly specific problem though.

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,525   +338

ICS is a serial chanel from the bottom system back to the ISP connection.
    Using a router instead, creates a STAR network in which each system has
    equal access to the ISP without impacting other systems adversely
    (yea, ok, bandwith is consumed). The ICS solution is cheaper at the cost
    of major cpu interrupts on the intermediate system and a requirement that
    both systems need to be running.

food for thought??

8. Spike

Spike TS Rookie Posts: 2,371

Indeed - since that time, I've bought myself a router and I'm no longer using ICS. At one point, I took the router out of the network and reverted to ICS to test a freinds machines ability to take a shared connection (to prove a point really - long story), with both machines using a newer copy of sygate personal. There was no problem at all. My only guess is either a small bug in the sygate software for that earlier version, or perhaps a configuration error of some sort on my machine.

The reason I was inclined to particularly blame the firewall for this particular error though, was purely becuase setting it to "allow all" traffic on the machine serving the connection before starting a msn file transfer on the other machine prevented a BSoD. 'Tis all in the past now anyway. The problem didn't last long at all.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.