Installing 2 hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have 2 HD's, one that i have and one from a friend. the one that i have is the master and of course boots first. but when i set the one my friend gave me to slave it still botts first and says DISK BOOK FAILURE. can someone please help me? thanks :hotbounce :hotbounce

Also check how you have the drive cabled as it is backwards from what you would think. The Master should be at the end of the cable with the slave in the middle.
Newer systems this is not an issue but i've had this hang things on older boards even though the jumpers/BIOS were set properly...

patio. :cool:

Both those suggestions should work. Also while in the BIOS, check the boot order cause most BIOSes let you choose "IDE0", "IDE1", "IDE2" and so forth. And more for SATA. So make sure first boot drive is "0" at least.

If you are adding the friend's hard drive as slave, I don't see a reason you would need to change the drive boot order.

No matter what drive you add as slave, your bootable drive should remain IDE 0 (for example). That position doesn't change unless you make the old drive slave and the new drive master.

I would double check your jumper settings on both drives. Sometimes the master drive is set as "single master" from a factory, but may not work properly when coupled with a slave drive. You'll need to set it to "master with slave". You may need to configure the jumpers on your old drive to do this. It also won't hurt to double check the jumper settings on your friend's drive too... Just to make sure that isn't a problem as well. It should be set to slave.

Also, if either drive is using cable select, this could affect the order in which they appear. Make sure the first drive isn't set to cable select (as many drives in new computers are) and make sure the second drive is indeed slave.

That's true Rick, but I've seen where even if a drive is IDE0 and master, the BIOS is still set to boot off IDE2, for example. Rather than IDE0. For example:

BIOS says
Boot order IDE1, IDE0

Well because IDE1 doesn't exist, it skips it, making it load Windows. But when IDE1 is actually installed, it then tries to boot from it first.

Just a thought.

HDDVD
are you installing 2 hard drives with an operating system on both of them?
or only one are they the same IE: xp,W2K or what
not all bios's let you pick the hard drive
boot order is usually default too floppy ,cdrom then hard drive
some will have scsi as extra and even sata
best place to look for OS boot it the boot.ini file
if you added 2 seperate OS systems each will have it's own boot.ini file and thats where the conflict is
if you added a 2nd OS to system that already has OS then
only the first drive will be bootable with the boot.ini file

the boot.ini

I have 2 hd each with a os on them and I am having problems getting the slave to boot. I have tried changing them in the bios and it didn't work. Is there a way to change the boot.ini of the hd that will boot so that the other hd will boot?

kidsareahandful
you should study the boot.ini file it will be clear after awhile what s going on.
I can't remember if it was Paragon or Acronis Disk software that has a good boot manager

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft XPCORP" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 server" /fastdetect

some of my info

i originally had a 60gig hard drive with win ME installed on it.I think I got a virus because I started having problems opening my programs.I couldn't use scandisk or defrag or even any of my Nortons utillities. So I did a restore and ended up onlly being able to boot the puter in safe mode. I then tried backup my important stuff ,only to learn that u can't use the cd drive in safe mode and I couldn't get on the internet. So I bought a 4gig HD thinking i could install win98 on it and move my stuff from 1 HD to the other.didn't work.Installed winME on 4gig. still can't get all my stuff.I got some stuff off but not the most important stuff.I also got back on the net and did a scan and removed some viruses and noe I want to see if the 60gig will boot.But I don't want to have to keep physically takin out the HD's.I want to know if there is an easier way to tryto boot the 60.I downloaded BootUse and it says the 60 is not bootable. help

if you have a virus then remove it before attaching a 2nd hard drive or it could just spread to the new drive.

hard drive troubles

hi guys
this is what I did.realblackstuff suggested that I download a program called HDD Regenerator fron www.dposoft.com. It's a program to help files that you may have deleted or lost somehow.It was only a demo and wouldn't do what I needed it too so I found a way to get a full version:O). It has helped me get back most of the files I wanted.I think it let me restore from the last time ME saved a systemrestore because I couldn't get any of my pics from 2004(ehich is about the time I shut system restore off. I am now on my way to formating my 60gig HD.wish me luck and thanks for tryin to help

i have a peogram called OSL200 it lets you boot from any hd u have at start up
its simple and very easy to use......no bios bs or anything like that

Could just download Knoppix ( http://www.knoppix.org/ ) and boot from it. If you are using ME then you should be able to access the drives as they would be FAT.

Boot Knoppix and copy the files you need from the 60GB to the 4GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back