Installing a CPU to mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompuGeek247

Ok well i just ordered my asus A7N8X Deluxe board along with a Athlon XP 2700+ CPU. My question is, how hard is it to install a CPU to a motherboard. This is going to be my first time installing a chip to a mobo so I am sorta nervous. I already have my windows XP os so I hope I dont have much software issue.

Should I have bought an adhesive to increase conductivity? I didnt buy it cause it was 10 dollars extra. I know that doesnt sound alot but when im already spending so much for a board and chip every penny counts.

Can anyone tell me any tips on what I problems I am going to encounter because when I change the board and I encounter some problems I might not be able to get online. So I would like to get all the advice i can before i install it. Thank you for all your help.

chill

line up the pins correctly and clamp.simple as that......check to see where all of your misc. connections go, such as usb and whatnot.........use some zip strips to bundle up the wires nice.....once it posts, reboot and hit your delete button to enter your bios and make some internal adjustments, like dram/agp/chipset/etc.......have someone around who has done it before if you are nervous....save and exit.......THEN, when you get bold, go for the overclock....run a monitoring software.....probably provided by the motherboard manufacturer to check temp and stability

IT may be $10 but it'll save your big investment. Make sure you put a thin even layer of heatsink compound on the core of the CPU before you mount the heatsink/fan. Arctic Silver 3 or Ceramique are the best. Instructions can be found on their web site.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/

The CPU is easy, but depending on the heatsink clipping mechanism, the heatsink might be terribly tough to put on. :)

Installing the CPU is the first thing you'll want to do. There's a lever on the motherboard socket that releases and locks the socket locking mechanism. Raising it up releases it, pushing it down locks it. You'll want to leave this in the raised position before you put your CPU in.

Line up the pins with your CPU and just drop it in.. Very simple. :) Then take the lever and push it all the way down - Your CPU will lock into place.

Then you will need to install your HSF (heatsink and fan). This is the trick part, but nicer heatsinks usually snap on with no problem. Others you might have to struggle a bit with a screw driver. If you think you are going to have a hard time, I strongly recommend slipping a hard piece of plastic or cardboard inbetween the socket notches and the motherboard. If you have to use a screw driver, it COULD slip... This will help protect your board from some unforseen slippage.

I've only ever had one REAL problem with CPU installs, and that is when I receive the CPU, one or more of the pins are bent. If the CPU doesn't SLIDE RIGHT IN, STOP!!! Check the pins to see if any are bent. If they are, carefully bend them back. I'm too impatient to send it back and get a new one when I can just give it a quick fix myself :)

IF you need to do this, use your fingernail to bend it slowly and carefully. With care, your CPU will be usable in no time.

Naturally I need to cover myself and say I do NOT think this is covered under any warranty, so if you need to do this, do so at your own risk!

Thanks for the advice.

Now im worried... I didnt order the thermal adhesive how important is that in the scheme of it?

First off you don't want thermal adhesive or you'll wind up permanently attaching that heatsink to the CPU. Thermal compound is extremely important to the scheme of things unless the heatsink comes with a thermal pad. Without something to conduct the heat from the CPU core to the heatsink your CPU will run much hotter and you stand a chance of damaging or destroying your CPU.

Did you buy the Retail processsor or was it OEM? Retail comes with a heatsink and fan and the heatsink has a thermal pad on the bottom that will work just fine, no need for paste.

Originally posted by Rick
If you think you are going to have a hard time, I strongly recommend slipping a hard piece of plastic or cardboard inbetween the socket notches and the motherboard. If you have to use a screw driver, it COULD slip... This will help protect your board from some unforseen slippage.
Yeah, I didn't use any plastic or other protection things.. destroyed a $250 mobo once :blackeye:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back