Installing a dvd burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lee180

I have purchased a oem nec 3520 burner to add to my current cd-r/dvd drive. As it is an oem it has not come with any cables or software does anybody know if i will need to get the drivers for it or should it just work once installed. Also what should i set my current drive and the new drive to regarding the master and slave settings.

You won't need anything you don't already have, unless you've got one of those old ide ribbons that don't have a second connector for another drive.

If you want to do it real fast I'd set your new one up as slave and leave the other one untouched.
Personally, if it was my machine I'd make the new one master and the old one slave, but in reality it doesn't make one bit of difference.

Windows will autodetect the drive, so you won't need any drivers. To burn a dvd though you are going to need some software. I recommend Nero, but there are some others that will work.

what SNG said , plus write down the model number and look through NEC website for Firmware updates.
Most writers have these ,they update like bios files just follow their instructions to the letter.
Sometimes OEM models have a Retail unit equivilent model so read carefully to choose the right model.
You should see the existing version of your firmware in device manager >properties ,(or in the preferences page in the writing software you use), for the drive once it is installed.

Hi,
I'd like to jump onto this thread. I also recently installed a NEC 3520A to replace my CD-burner. I also have a DVD ROM installed. The old configuration was C-Sel so I installed the DVD burner using the same congig. The result was "no boot". I made the ROM master and the burner slave and sometimes got the system to boot up. Then I changed it to burner as master and ROM as slave. And voila. On the next boot the changes were recognized and made and since then I've had no problems booting up. One problem I do have, though, is that the ROM drive won't recognize a DVD as it did in the past. I get the response of "no disk in drive". On the other hand it does fine with CDs. The new burner lets me burn, play DVDs and CDs. I'm really at a loss.

All DVD rom are not created equal, they can be particular about the brand. You often have to test different brands.
Also did you do what I said in #3 above.

Looking thru NEC, they say that for -R (D/L) a firmware update is required. But try to find it. I looked all over their site but to no avail. How would that address the DVD ROM problem though? I've been looking for LiteOn's web site now that they've merged with (JVC, I think) for any f/w updates for my ROM drive.

Firmware usually address compatibility issues and media brand updates.
I have no experience with NEC Iam a Plextor man , but my advice is to persist even call or email their Techsupport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back