Installing a new DVD-ROM drive help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosgothhunter

Hi :) can any one help me :( I have read other peoples posts but the ones i have seen dosnt seem to help any because there in in tech talk :( (im stuiped lol) I understand alot of hardware talk but not when people use (sorry for spelling) A-bree-v-ations Like IDN e.t.c.

I have just brought a new pc and i am waiting for it to arrive! Its brillent except it dosnt have a DVD-ROM drive :( yet it has a DVD writer and cd writer. so i have found a good DVD-ROm drive for about £16.65 ($26.99)
anyway i want to know...will it be able to install?? The new pc SHOULD have the cables (not sure tho) to add a new drive. But can any one give me a simple guide on how to install it, what cables to plug in etc :) thanks very much for ANY help you can give :)

If you only have one optical drive like your DVD burner, you can add a second optical drive easily.

Open your case, if you have room (like 3 X 5.25" bays) leave a bay empty in between the 2 drives.

There should be a cable there already (some builders use one cable for the hard drive and the optical drive, I have seen this a lot and it is not good).

What you want is your hard drive on the primary channel as Master.

The DVD burner and the DVD-ROM on the secondary channel as master and slave.
Check the jumpers at the back of the drives, and make sure your master is at the end of the cable and the slave in the middle.

If the cable already in your system has only one connector, use the cable that came with your DVD-ROM or just buy one, they are only few dollars or even get one from an older system if you have.

If your hard drive is Serial ATA, move the burner to the Primary channel as master and the DVD-ROM to the Secondary channel as master.

Don't worry about the Audio cable.

Let us know how it went

I think i understood most of that :) I'm hopeing he has used a double cable (so i can put the master one at the end and the new one on the middle :) thanks very much for your help m8y :) ill post back and tell u how it wen cheers :) x

If you just want another drive such as a DVD-ROM, that's fine but your DVD/CD writer will also play DVDs and CDs. In that respect, you don't actually need the DVD-ROM. That said, I always have two different optical drives in my PCs. :)

Nahhh i need a DVD ROM to install sum games :) i brought the pc to play uptodate games :)...just rearlised i would need a DVD-ROM to install some games :)

Yes, whether the games come on CDs or DVDs, your DVD writer can do the job.

You know the fact that a DVD burner is a DVD-ROM as well as a CD burner and a CD-ROM?

Is the read times slower on your burner than the DVD-ROM?

That said, I like having both, then when I need to copy, I don't have to write to my drive.

Make sure your power supply has enough juice left on the 12V rail before adding the DVD-ROM

your kidding?? I can install games that NEED's a DVD-ROM on a dvd burner?? Grrrrr I E-Mailed PcWorld and asked thme that question and they said i still need a DVD-ROM. :) Ummm yeah its double the speed of the dvd burner (dvd burner - 16x) (DVD-Rom drive 32x) dont think that matters tho really :) I dont care waiting a bit longer to load a game. :) Thanks you have just ssaved me $30 :D lol

P.s So would a dvd burner be able to play this :)

Minimum Requirements
Windows 98, Me, 2000, XP
Pentium III
AMD Athlon
1.0GHz
128MB RAM
5.5GB hard drive space
DVD-ROM drive
Windows-compatible video card
Windows-compatible sound card (Dolby Digital Interactive Content Encoder required for Dolby Digital audio)
DirectX 8.1
Internet connection at 33.6 Kbps

If you find a 32X DVD-ROM, I'll buy a few off of you.

16X is what you have and can get. You provided the link!

You have a game or software or a movie on a DVD; Your drive is not just a DVD burner, since it burns DVDs most would assume it would read DVDs as well, and it does!

If you are going to install the game on to your hard drive which is way faster then a DVD Reader, your burner can do that for you, just put the game disk in your drive and wait.

If you don't want to install to save space on your drive or you just don't want to, but want to play of the DVD, it still can do it for you but I can't see why you’d want to do that, still your business.

The spec or minimum requirements you gave, are for your system, it is asking for a DVD-ROM which what your burner is, to transfer or install the game on to your system.

You never told us what system with what configuration you bought so can't help you there.

If they installed all the software that came with your burner, you can even put a DVD movie and watch it on your screen or a TV-out to a big screen.

Is this your first computer?

If you are going to go on-line, make sure Windows firewall is on, do your updates and all. Better yet, get a router even if you have a single system. It’s crawling with creepy crawlers out there, the Pipes are infested.

But it's not the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back