Installing a new mobo without a reformat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've decided to get a new mobo cos my old ECS K7S5A is *cough* crap *cough*, anyhoo i've decided to get a new Asus A7V8X - X (hey theres not problem with being budget friendly :p ) and i really don't want to reformat cos i got no way to back-up my files (Oh if you're just going to tell me to get a CD burner i'd rather not cos i like using the old "Sry i can't get you a copy cos i don't have a burner" excuse). So basically i was just wonder if there was anyway to install the new mobo without conflict issues or screwing it up and definatly without a reformat...

Thanx in advance,
Mr_PacMan

Welcome to Techspot forums

Depends on the operating system. In Windows, you could boot to safe mode and remove the old drivers - but it might recognize everything just out of the box. Linux kernel depends on how it is configured, BeOS doesn't need any alterations, etc..

Thanx for the welcome Mictlantecuhtli, the OS i'm using is WinME, is it possible to delete all the drivers for it, cos when ECS made its driver package it didn't seem to include an uninstall feature for them :( . Thanx for the info though i'll have to try it out.

P.S if anyone knows of an app that deletes or atleast helps deletes these driver plz post. Thanx again Mictlantecuhtli.

Windows Me should be fine. 98 and Me have a FAR easier time being transferred to a new a system when compared with 2000 and XP.

Ok, you guys are probably going to frown upon this and maybe even say it isn't possible but it is. In Windows ME you can go to DOS prompt, even if your in Windows at the time and go at deleting as many files as possible in the Windows directory... install the new motherboard, then reboot and either boot to DOS and run setup from the CD or boot to the CD and install WinME again over the old copy.

If you haven't done that before it might be a little confusing, but trust me, it's very possible because I've done it at least 10 times in the past, and you dont have to format or anything so you will be able to keep your data.

WinME doesn't boot to CD, but uses a boot floppy, so it is possible to delete the entire Windows directory prior to reinstalling WinME (on your new system).

This should be followed by reinstalling all the applications that had previously been installed.

Effectively, your system would be just as clean as if you started from scratch.

Remember to defragment your hard drive afterwards.

The best thing I can always suggest is that, unless you have a VERY good reason not to, do a complete reinstall if you rebuild your machine. Please.

Even upgrades suck. Like upgrading Windows 2000 to XP, or Redhat 7.3 to Redhat 9. Just reinstall. Honestly, if at all possible, please do because your machine will love you for it.

Certainly, if you rebuilt your machine with a new board, you can change trying the old installation if its Win9x based or Linux based, but to be honest, its a new computer new and it needs to be redone I think, for best results.

Yeah, for best results always reinstall I think.

With ANY Windows based system you should ALWAYS FORMAT you system drive or partition. It can work but you will have lost of bugs and problems down the road if you do not reformat..

N

Backup anything, on a regular basis, that you can't live without! You can always buy a cheap refurbished HD that you connect only to do backups or hide a cheapo CD-R drive in a drawer when not in use.
Since you're going from a Sis 735 chipset to a VIA KT400 you will need to reinstall Windows at a minimum. If that doesn't work then reformat and live with your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back