TechSpot

Installing a SATA drive

By tomee638
Aug 13, 2005
  1. I've read everything about SATA drives. I know Windows doesn't recognize it because its SATA and needs drivers but I do not have a floppy drive. Is there any way to make this work without a floppy?

Thank you so much,
    Gabriel

2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

I could be wrong here, but...... I think you are wrong ;)

I just put together my new computer with a SATA hard drive. No drivers were needed, recognized as is.....

Wait and see what others say I guess.

3. tomee638

tomee638 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I already have a different SATA drive in there and remember these same problems with that one as well but just don't remember how I fixed it. I went into the first SATA drive and in Windows I formatted the new disk and I can use it fine as a 2nd disk but I want to clear this one and use the new one as its bigger and newer. And if the new one works or not, I cannot see either drive when I go to install WinXP.

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

If the SATA controller is native (not an add-in chip) you won't need drivers unless you're running a RAID system. If it's on a PCI SATA card or if an add-in chip is used (most of the time from Promise or Silicone Image) you'll need drivers.

There's a way to slipstream the drivers onto a XP install CD so that it detects the drive but I do not know how to do so. I suggest you google that up.

5. tomee638

not running any RAID anything, just two seperate hard drives and my SATA plugs are on my motherboard. Its Asus A7V600.

6. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

7. tomee638

I can do this program on THIS hard drive and it will work for the motherboard then so any ATAs I plug in the future will pull up fine correct?

8. tomee638

When I run that driver on the old hard drive while in windows I get an error message.

"RegDBGetKeyValueEx. Failed"
    Click ok.

"Call to RegDBGetKeyValueEx. Failed"
    Click ok

The wizard was interruped before the platform could be completely installed.

Do I need to run this somewhere else? The files are on my desktop.
    Thanks again!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.