TechSpot

Installing a second hard drive

By moonfruit
Nov 24, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi
    I have an aging Emachine E5250 and the hard drive seems to be on the way out (forever clicking and whirring, taking ages to load, freezing up etc) I am looking at getting a new drive and cloning the old one. The current drive is a SATA hard drive and my question is that will a newer SATA drive still be compatible? I have looked around and there seems to be SATA 150, 300, Sata II. As far as I can tell if I install a newer SATA drive and the motherboard isnt compatible it will revert to a slower SATA speed, is this correct? The drive im looking at is this .. Maxtor DIAMONDMAX23 320GB 3.5IN 7200RPM 16MB SATA300.

Hope this isnt too stupid a question!

Cheers.
  2. Renegeek

Renegeek TS Rookie Posts: 96

Yes a Sata 3 will be compatable with a 1.5. just will run slower

and when u do a clone copy. it should work, but just remember... during the clone it could give u problems, so u may need to do it a few times...

the program i would sugest is norton ghost... (or the maxtor cd may have a cloneing software too)

good luck
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.