Installing an IDE drive w/converter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Dimension 8400. I accidentally purchased a Seagate 400GB Ultra ATA/100. I bought this Addonics IDE to Serial ATA converter. I installed everything and the computer does not recognize the new drive. I left off the jumper for it to be a slave. I went into the BIOS and activated the SATA1 position. The Seagate utility gives me a message about expecting to see a drive in Slave 2??? I did see this BIOS area about SATA Operation. It is currently set to RAID Autodetect/AHCI. It has options for RAID Autodetect/ATA, RAID On & Combination. I was not sure about changing any of that.

Tomorrow I will call the company that makes the converter but I was trying to get this up and running today.

Any ideas?

I appreciate your time.

Rick

So you have an ata drive connected to sata controller right? If so, i have the same.
Set the jumper on the hard drive to cable select first off. That may fix it.
Make sure the adapter has a floppy power cable plugged into it, it needs seperate power.
Set all your sata raid settings to auto and see if it picks up. It can be a little tricky at times to get going.

If that doesnt help, let me know and i will try to help further.

I have tried both having the jumper set to cable select and having the jumper off completely. The adapter does have power and the SATA RAID settings are still set to the default - which is RAID Autodetect/AHCI.

I am waiting for 9 am pacific time to give the maker of the adapter a call and see if they can be any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back