Installing both Vista 32 and 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjl

So, I want to run Vista 64 for some of my demanding 3D modeling apps, but the incompatibility issues with drivers, old software, etc., etc. have me a little worried, so I am leaning towards the 32 bit version for some old games, old sound apps I have, and anything that happens to have compatibility issues with 64.

It looks like Vista Ultimate comes with both 32 and 64 bit discs. Does that mean I can install both the 32 and 64 bit versions on different partitions and boot the one I want for the application I want? Or will the windows activation process limit me to only one installation, even though it is on the same machine?

A related question: If I wanted to add a second hard drive with XP as a third boot option, is that hard to do? If anybody could describe or point me at instructions for setting up a multiple-boot option kind of setup from multiple drives that would be great. I've never set up a dual-boot system before, let alone a triple-boot from two drives kind of thing.

Thanks,

--
Ken

Their nice licensing policies restrict installations to one per computer. You can of course install the second one and use it for a month (or longer, depending on the version), just won't be able to activate it without crippling the other installation.

Sounds like I probably want 64 bit Vista and a 32 bit XP dual boot system then...

Thanks,

--
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back