TechSpot

Installing Dell Windows XP Home on another computer

By Jimboscomp_com
Nov 12, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi!

I have a Windows XP Home CD I got from dell with my laptop (almost 2 years ago). Well I uninstalled it from my laptop and started using Windows XP Professional right away, and haven't touched the XP home since. One of my friends is having me build a computer for her on a budget, and if I get another license, it'll throw her over the budget. So I have one question: Will I be able to install the XP Home I got with my dell onto the computer with any activation problems? I know I shouldn't, but just to be on the safe side, I thought I'd ask...

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Welcome to Techspot

Do everybody a favour and install Windows 2000 Pro, if you have that lying around.
    No activation problems, and (in my opinion) much more stable than XP.
    Install W2K/SP4, update IE to version 6/SP1, then do a full windows-update.
    Now take an image of that install, using Drive Image or Acronis TrueImage.
    Then install whatever else.

3. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

If the Cd from Dell is marked as Dell not a genuine Microsoft cd ,It will not work the Dell disk searches for Dell bios before loading.
    If your buying Mb ,Cpu a lot of resellers will sell Win xp OEM disks pretty cheap .Make them a deal they can't refuse.
    Better yet try what Real.. said 2K rules...

4. Jimboscomp_com

Jimboscomp_com TS Rookie Topic Starter

yeah, i would use Win2K if I could, but they want some form ox XP on it, so I'm probably just going to get a OEM off the internet, thanks

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.