Installing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

bretty

Good Morning fella's

Just curious. Can you install games from a .img/.ISO/.CCD file without burning to CD?
If you can, which program would you use?

Yes you can. There are several programs to use, i use Virtual CD. It works really well. I ah, got the program for free, but you can download like a trial or something from their website

http://www.virtualcd-online.com/

After that you convert your .iso > like .vcd i think. The program adds a virtual CD drive (duh) to your computer, and then you run the program and tell it which image to "insert".

I have installed this Virtual CD thing, but to be honest, I dont get it.
I have a .ccd image file, and I would like to install it from the HDD. The program doesnt have an option for this..

Try Fantom CD, it works with any image type and can also burn images to cdrom. Unfortunately its not free!:blush:

You can get it here ...

Fantom CD

Of course you can. Use a program like Isobuster or something like that, extract the contents to a directory, and use the .exe file to install away.

When it's time to switch to the second disk just unmount it by clicking the daemon tools systray icon and remount the next image.

LNCPapa

Or set number of devices to a higher number (a maximum of 4), and load it on that one...

Most games support this when installing (though not all :()

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Yes, I installed Unreal 2 today.....

Via Deamon Tools (a [size=1]downloaded[/size] ISO...:blush: ...:grinthumb)? or do you buy your games, and store them as ISOs on your HD so you dont have to worry about CD's?

[size=3]PS[/size]

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Via Deamon Tools (a [size=1]downloaded[/size] ISO...:blush: ...:grinthumb)?

I admit...I have done this, but I ended up buying the 2 games I did it with (really, cuz I needed a valid cd key;))

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Via Deamon Tools (a [size=1]downloaded[/size] ISO...:blush: ...:grinthumb)? or do you buy your games, and store them as ISOs on your HD so you dont have to worry about CD's?

[size=3]PS[/size]

I admit...I have done this, but I ended up buying the 2 games I did it with (really, cuz I needed a valid cd key;))

I think the main reason people use these things is to keep from having to fumble around for CDs every time they want to play a game.

Some people don't want us doing this because they think it promotes piracy, and I have heard that many new games won't let you use these tools to install and run them.

This is exactly the reason I wanted use it. If I pay $80 for a game, the last thing I want is a scratched CD.

This is something that I feel that copy protection invokes with the result of violating your consumer rights. I SHOULD BE ABLE to make a legitimate, legal copy of any media that I have bought myself, so that I have a backup.

Its not illegal to make your own windows 2000 CDs, for example, if you have purchased the software. Its possible to make a windows 2000 CD with the latest service pack included - you can build it yourself because Microsoft have built the technology in. They obviously think that that software being copied under certain circumstances is acceptable use. Why is it not acceptable use for me to make backup copies of CDs I have bought, or to make compilation CDs from albums that I have bought? I have paid for the music and the right to listen to it.

Same goes for games. I should be able to keep a library of originals and use copies for actual game play, given that many games require you to run with the disk in, and this increases wear and tear.

Are you somewhat referring to the wars about kazaa,etc? I think we always run into this copyright problem because theres no living proof you bought the CD yourself. Err.....=\ I think its more of an issue with CDs than games. Like you can download warcraft3 such as I did, but you cant play online. Whats it worth without a valid Bnet key? Nothing pretty much, single player yea, for so long....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StormBringer ...
I think the main reason people use these things is to keep
from having to fumble around for CDs every time they want to
play a game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haven't you guys heard of 'NoCD' game patches then? :D

Most games do a full install anyway these days, so why use up double the disk space by also storing CD images just to avoid swapping CDs.

You can get new '.exe' files for most popular games within days of them coming out. Just copy the new executable to replace the one in your game directory and you'll have no more need for the original CDs. ;)

Just one thing to note though is that you make sure you use the same version patch as your current installed game version, so if you update your game you will need to download a new NoCD patch.

These patches are legal so long as you own the game.:grinthumb
You still need to have a valid CD Key, so no surprises there.:eek:

The link below is to a very popular website that hosts NoCD patches and its very slow to load because of this. Have fun! :grinthumb

Link removed due to site content

I've noticed that many games don't have CD checking anymore. Probably the programmers have noticed protection methods will be cracked anyway, so they don't bother adding them anymore.

Help please? I have a 570MB .bin file of Sim City 4, how am I meant to get this to work? The file name claims it is CD1. How can I get it to install, any help would be appreciated.:bounce:

timmoore ...
I have a 570MB .bin file of Sim City 4, how am I meant to get this to work?

What you have is a cdrom disk image of CD1 for Sim City 4.

To get this to work you can either use a virtual disk drive software such as 'Deamon Tools' as mentioned in a previous post on this thread, or you can record the image file onto a CD and then install normally. Note that you do not copy the .bin file to a cd, but you open the image file with the burning software and record the image contents to a CD. In order to do this you need CD burning software that can recognise the .bin file format, or you can convert the .bin file to a standard .iso file using a tool such as WinISO or ISOBuster, and then record the .iso image contents to a CD. ISO files are recognised by nearly all CD burning software.

But Sim City 4 comes on 2 CD's so you may still not be able to install without the second CD.

Hope this helps.:grinthumb

This a getting into a grey area so maybe it is time someone stresses that Techspot does not promote nor condone piracy. This discussion is meant for making backups of discs you own.

What I find funny sometimes is when games come with an integrated copy-protection & later on the company removes it with a patch when they realise that the protection makes the game run slower or that some CDRoms are uncapable or installing the game because of it.

It has happened with Neverwinter Nights, Morrowind & even GTA3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back