Installing Muliple Operating Systems

Hey everyone! so I had a few questions regarding installing multiple OS' and programs. I just ordered a 120gb SSD and I want to use it for my operating systems and I have a bunch of HDD's for everything else. My question is will 120gb be enough for lets say windows 8 and Mac OS maybe even linux, and on top of that do you think I can fit the entire adobe creative suite (just the programs and OS' and I will save everything on the HDD's) or should I get another SSD for programs? I've read on forums that you need 50gb for win8 and macOS and linux is relatively small but then I've heard others say all you need is 16gb. Again I'm just installing the OS' and programs and saving all other files on HDD's. Thanks for reading and I look forward to your thoughts!

I don't see why you couldn't.

My Win7 installation (which should be comparable to Win8) is using less than 30GB. Of course my pagefile is set at 1GB, instead of setting at 1 to 1.5 times the amount of memory. And hibernation is turned off, so I don't have that file eating up space either.

Applications installed:
  • MS Office 2010 installed on OS partition
  • Nero 10 installed on OS partition
  • Virtual PC with virtual machines stored on Data Drive
  • Approximately two dozen other smaller applications installed on OS partition
  • Windows Live Mail installed on Data Drive
  • Steam and all games installed on Data Drive

My Win/7 Pro laptop has a 450gb drive and just now 293gb free - - that's almost 150gb used!

There's a principle in capacity planning: whatever resources are available, they WILL be used (consumed).

Personally, I like segregation - - one OS per partition.
I have an older boat anchor with Windows and two flavors of Linux, all in separate partitions. The can't interfere with each other and each can be controlled/configured and backed-up separately.

The sole complication is learning to install & configure dual (or in this case triple) boot.

My plan was to install win8 and mac os on different partitions on the same ssd. will that cause problems? I'm only going to be using mac os just so I can learn how to use it. I've never owned a mac and many jobs like it if you know how to use both. Have you guys and gals every tried that? and if so how did it go...
btw thanks for the fast replies. this is great advice

Hmm; Not sure at all that Mac OSX can be installed this way.
For decades, the Mac software accesses the firmware to ensure that the hardware is infact Macintosh - - thus leading to failure at boot time.

Using a unique partition is still the correct approach and perhaps there is an emulator that can make this work today.

As your intent to "try it, you might like it" I would personally expend a good effort to try. (ps: we've had a Mac in the house since '89 for the wife and they are nice systems.)

Back