installing my new graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxhound

ok, i need a bit of help here. i got a new graphcis card and i want to install it. i already have intergrated graphics but i got a pci card. the thing is, i know i have to uninstal the old card, but what if the new one doesnt work? i dont have the old drivers. and do i have to remove th intergrated graphics or can i just leave it there on the motehrboard to save a bit of hassle?

also, could someone give me a quick guide, just so as i can get it straightened out a bit in my head :)

thanks alot,lol. the guides on the net confuse me =[

NO!! DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO PHYSICALLY REMOVE THE INTERGRATED GRAPHICS!

Intergrated means it is built into the motherboard, the chip is set in the motherboard, if you remove it chances are you will fudge the motherboard.

You have to unistall the drivers for the intergrated graphics then restart the computer and disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS.

I'm not sure what computer you have but if you just keep pressing the delete button on your keyboard as soon as you switch the computer on you should get into the BIOS. Try and look for something called integrated peripherals in there, it should be inside there, something about onboard graphics. DO NOT TOUCH OR ALTER OTHER SETTINGS OR YOU CAN SCREW YOUR COMPUTER!

good...i hate intergrated grpahics..useless! >.<

i know how to get in the bios, hope this one works, my motherboard is picky x.x

cheers mate =]

foxhound said:
and do i have to remove th intergrated graphics or can i just leave it there on the motehrboard to save a bit of hassle?

Integrated graphics are usually inside the north bridge (a.k.a. chipset), so you'd have to remove the whole chipset (a.k.a. very bad idea lol)

Just disable it in BIOS :)

yey, it came today ^^

so what do i do in order? unistall intergrated drivers, disable in bios, then switch off sompy adn insert new card. then restart adn install drivers? is thta it or have i missed out something?

yeh intergrated r bitches i used to have 1...
uninstall the drivers for the intergrated and install ur new 1 easy to do on the device manager (found in system on control panel)

ok, i unistalled the drivers...but i cant find anyhting in bios. (you can imagine how my screen looks x.x)

anyways...i inserted teh card, but teh screen was black..the desktop wouldnt show up. any help on this? i had teh moniter connected to the new card...

There should be an option in the BIOS to disable the onboard video. Alternatively, you can try disabling it from Windows.

how can i disable it from windows?

in the BIOS, in 'perphieral settings' i think, it just names ports and stuff. nothing about intergrated graphics.

gahh, this thing is more trouble than its worth =[

Ah forget about that, it might not work.
As for the BIOS, there should be something like Features Setup or something. It should be in there. Just keep looking, it should be somewhere.

Tell us your motherboard's model and make, I'll try to find its manual online, and check if there's the option to disable that thing.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name YOUR-AFA3809D72
System Manufacturer GATEWA
System Model SR84510A
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3067 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. SR84510A.46T.0014.P06.0410050243, 05/10/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name YOUR-AFA3809D72\james
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.02 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.09 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

was this any help? soory, i couldnt figure out how to find out what it was x.x so this is my compy specs...

Oh ****e, it's a Gateway PC. Anyways, it's either a Seabreeze T3 or Nimitz 2 according to Gateway's site. Can you confirm that?

I think that according to the documentation, there is a setting called Video Configuration under the Advanced menu in the BIOS. In there, change the Primary Video Adapter type to PCI from Integrated Graphics. Then exit the BIOS after saving the settings and it should work fine with the new card.

Oh, not a problem still. Set it to PCI in that case. But you should have gotten an AGP card, since it provides better performance compared to PCI. Your choices are very limited for PCI, while AGP gives you far more choices of video cards to choose from.

Eh? Why's the AGP option there in the BIOS then? Must be for the IGP then I guess. Anyways, change it to PCI and try again.

i did =[ but still the black screen. it starts off ok, the same stuff comes up like the loading screen etc, but when it comes to the sesktop it just stays black...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back