TechSpot

Installing new mobo, should I reformat hard drives?

By foycur
Feb 15, 2005
  1. I had an ASUS P4P8X motherboard that went belly up, and I am now getting an P4P800E-Deluxe from the generous people at ASUS. Should I wipe my hard drives clean and do a clean install of Windows, or can I just hook everything up without having to go through all that hassle?

Also, I have been part of this online community now for a couple of months and have found most everyone to be extremely helpful. You all rock. :grinthumb

2. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

guess your running xp home or pro ?
    If all you are replacing is MB ,Id give it a shot see if you need to add MB drivers
    couldn't hurt.
    your MB manual might have hints on upgrade existing OS
    as always backup your stuff
    you don't give a hint as to how much stuff you have on the drives
    guess couldn't be a lot
    I did a MB change on one system and had to repair
    just finished a build 2 days ago and just needed to update some drivers
    go figure.

3. foycur

foycur TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 160

I have got two IDE drives, one master and one slave. Master is running Windows XP Pro, the second drive is for my games and photos/videos and stuff. I don't have much on either drive. Someday I'll buy SATA but not right now. Speaking of backing up data, any suggestions on a good program to backup with?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.