Installing Old Hard drive to new pc cant c old files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
one of my computers motherboard went bad and I can't afford to replace it for a couple weeks, but I need the files off that hard drive. So I installed the hard drive into my other computer. I took out the one that was in it and made this hard drive the slave but when it boots it don't give me the option of going under my old user name and if I install as secondary and look under old act it will pull up but no files are in the act. What do I do?

You mentioin ACT - do you mean the PCM software sold by Symantec? If so you will have to import the data using the copy installed on the second machine.

I think he means user account. You should leave the original HDD for this machine alone. (master jumper position). Slave the transferred HDD (the one from the dead PC). Now you just boot as normal and the 2nd HDD should just be seen as an extra drive and you should have full access, regardless of previous user accts on it. Just use windows explorer.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Just in case you get an access denied message when trying to access your files, maybe this thread HERE will help.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back