TechSpot

installing OS without CD ROM

By qball
Sep 18, 2003
  1. Stupid me, formatted my hard Drive without realizing that I dont have an internal CD ROM.
    And since this is a labtop, I can't even take out my Hard drive. I have a Fujitsu labtops that doesn't have a removable Hard drives So.. Now my next step was to make a boot up disk and tried to run that. ... I tried XP.. after the 6th disk.. (the last one, i get this blue screen error saying.. I need to CHKDSK. So, I boot up with 98 and then ran CHKDSK and Scandisk. But then the error is still there. So next, i tried 2000. same result.
    WhAT can I DO next? Is there way to install an External CD ROM?in DOS? because I have one of those.. OR DOES anyone know any other way to install an OS on my labtop? I have 2000 or XP that i could install. (of course in CD though)

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

You could install Linux over network..

I think there was a way to access Windows shares from DOS too, so you could boot from a floppy and copy the Windows installation folder from another computer to the HD.

3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

There are a few other options you might have.

1.) USB CDROM DOS drivers - They exist, although I've never personally set such a thing up.

2.) XP boot disks (6-floppy set) - Could be possible. The setup from the CD recognizes USB storage devices. The setup from these floppy disks is very simliar and may recognize your USB CDROM.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...68-6e4f-471c-b455-bd5afee126d8&DisplayLang=en

4. qball

qball TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks guys~! but RIck, I tried that 6 floppy set that didn't work. SO my next try will be to get that US CDROM DOS drivers.
    ANy one have any other suggestions?

5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

If you have a network adapter, boot from a floppy that allows you to have network access under DOS, and access a mapped drive. Install Windows XP from a network share.

6. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

Try this ...

1. Download these dos usb drivers http://www.pocketec.net/downloads/duse_4_4.zip

2. Add the drivers to your win98 boot floppy (see inc. instructions).

3. Boot with your floppy, and navigate to your winxp cd's i386 directory.

4. Run winnt.exe.

Sorted!

7. qball

qball TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'll try that Nic! and update u guys on monday. THANK You everyone!

8. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Well done Nic, that was a good one!

9. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

I think Step 4 should be to run winnt32.exe, so give that a go if winnt.exe doesn't work (I learned that trick here on techspot, thanks to alphanumeric).

10. alphnumeric

alphnumeric TS Rookie Posts: 209

Thanks for the quote Nic.:eek:
    My bios actually has an option for booting from a USB cd-rom. It showed up after my last flash. Might be worth flashing the BIOS if it will give you that option.:)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.