installing OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigKahuna

i just built a pc. i need to install xp pro but when it startsup it does not say to boot from cd push spacebar or whatever it brings me to a screen where i can only go to BIOS. what do i need to do it is driving me crazy. contact me on AIM screenname is YourBigKahuna

You need to set the CD-ROM to first in the BOOT order in BIOS. There also may be a key to press for a boot selection at the POST screen.

It is in the BIOS that you have to set the boot order. Have you set the CD drive first in the boot order yet?

If that is done already, put the Windows XP CD into the CD (or DVD) drive and reboot the PC.

i dont have a clue what either of you guys are talking about. i dont know how to set the cd rom or anything

In order to install Windows the PC has to boot from the Windows CD. That is, the Windows CD has to be in the CD drive when you start the PC, then the CD will initiate the installation process. However, first you have to set in the BIOS the correct device boot order. In this case it should be the CD drive.

Read your motherboard manual for the procedure to set the boot order in the particular BIOS that came with your motherboard.

Before you start I recommend that you google for some step by step guides on how to install Windows XP. It will make it much easier.

i do have the instructions for it but it got past the part where it reboots but it does not continue like the instructions say

It might not be behaving as expected because the boot order is not set correctly. Consider that if you haven't set it yourself, it is likely not set with the CD drive first.

Keep in mind that you can get into the BIOS without any CD in the CD drive. Just turn it on and press "Delete" when it posts and that should take you into the BIOS. Your motherboard manual will tell you how to set the boot order in the BIOS. Once that's taken care of you can begin to install Windows.

i have all that set but when windows is done formatting and copying it restarts and then is supposed to continue setup but it is not doing that for me

After that you need to boot the hard drive. It should be second in the boot order so just don't press a key to boot the CD.

Is this a SATA harddrive in this new build? Because when I built my system last year I had to have my harddrive as first bootable, otherwise I was experiencing what you are now experiencing.

As has been suggested, read your manual go into your BIOS and set your drives in the order suggested. Try your SATA drive as first bootable and see what happens.

After all the files are finished copying and it restarts, leave the cd in the drive but do not respond to the message, "Press any key to boot from CD." Just wait and in a few seconds it should continue on its own.

this is the error i get when i try to update the sound ""Setup has detected the version of the installed on your system us lower than what is necessary to apply this setup. At minimum you must have "Service Pack 1 installed for "Windows XP"."

i dont know where to look. ive been there i didnt know what to do. there was really nuthin for sp1. if you could find a link that would be greatly appreciated

After updating to SP1a you should update to SP2, and all of the other critical updates. For your integrated sound driver, go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and download the latest one and install it.

Go to the Device Manager and look for any devices with a yellow symbol next to it. Those with yellow symbols need a driver installed. If the device is a built-in motherboard device, once again, get those from the motherboard site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back