Installing PCI card drivers - data invalid error

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan948265

I upgraded my mainboard from an ASUS A7M266 to a Soyo K7Dragon+ and found that XP would not let me load the mainboard drivers. So I wiped my drive and started over without any pci cards installed. After XP was installed I tried to install my Soundblaster Live Card. Windows told me that the data was invalid so it could not load the drivers. Son of a... I tried moving the card to a different slot, and also tried removing it and using the onboard audio. Both solutions ended up with the same answer, the data invalid error. I looked into the problem and found out that it is a problem in windows xp with pci cards and scsi device pci cards. Here is the solution for those of you that may experience that. The fix works, I know as I am living proof!

Why do I get the message "data is invalid" when installing a device driver under WindowsXP?

This error appears to be due to a protection problem in the Windows registry and can occur with a variety of drivers (sound cards and SCSI drivers have been reported). To fix this problem, go to Start, Run... and type "regedit" without the quotes to run the Registry Editor. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\PCI

and you will see a number of keys of the form "VEN_xxxx", where xxxx are strings like "1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_00011103&REV_04". Under each of these folders will be another folder with a long numerical name. Open each folder and look for the "DeviceDesc" which matches the hardware you are trying to install. Right Click on the "VEN_xxxx" for that device and select 'Permissions' and then tick "Allow" for "Full Control". Close Regedit and then continue with the installation of your device.

Whats the solution to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back