Installing Secondary Drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher2006

Hey, lately my pc has been running abit slow booting up and copying files to locations on the hard drive Etc...ive scanned my drives for Viruses, Spyware and Adware and i got one Virus off and no spyware has been found, my freind said:

maybe its because you only have one hard drive and thats acting as your boot up drive and storage for music pictures games and all sorts of crap, so maybe getting a second hard drive and installed games and music on that and just necessary items on boot up drive?

is this a good idea, also if i do when ive linked up the new drive must i install Xp on the storage one or does it only need Xp installation on the boot drive?

thanks

hi
there is no need tp install a new hard drive , u can make 2 partitions on the drive , equal size partitions , store all u r data on the 2 nd partiotion that will be d and windows willbe on the c partiotns,
this has 2 benefits
one it will do what u are trying to with out add ing a new hard drive
2 , even incase windows does not load up some day , there will be no data loss , even if u reisntall windows as all the data will be on the partiton d , u can format partiton c and reinstall windows , all the stuf in the opther partiton will be intact

yeah he said that aswel i forgot to say, but i remember it never giving me the option to partition

E.g

79gb Partitioned
8mb unpartitioned how do i make it into 2 partitions?

use acronis or other 3rd party app.
you can get back that 8mb that was made for install
follow directions carefully or you will be reinstalling the os
everyone has ther opion on this
my setup is 10 to 15gb for OS the rest for storeage
you can make the active smaller but you will be cleaning it out more often
if you have 1gb of memory that gives you a page file of 1.5 gb or abouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back