Installing SP2 deleted my files...

By Harry_J_Allstar
Sep 11, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi

So, I'm a fool.

I installed SP2 for windows XP without backing up my work and personal files and have lost them - when I open windows all files in My Documents have dissappeared.

Is there anyway to recover the "lost" files. I'm hoping that one of you clever chaps will know how.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.
  2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,565

Hmmm. That's odd. Try this:

Start
    Control Panel
    User Accounts

What accounts are showing up in there? If there is more than one, try logging into each and seeing if one of those has your documents.
  3. Harry_J_Allstar

Harry_J_Allstar Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

All files have been removed from all user accounts. I run a search for files but cannot find them. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.
  4. greenflash

greenflash Newcomer, in training Posts: 104

try to login to system as an administrator then manually go C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/My Documents folder
  5. Harry_J_Allstar

Nope. All my files have gone. They're not in any account, nor can I find them by searching. Anyone know any recovery software?
  6. greenflash

greenflash Newcomer, in training Posts: 104

i used Getdataback for NTFS and that was good program.
  7. Harry_J_Allstar

If recovery software only recovers unreadable files, is there anything else to try or have I lost my work forever?

Thanks
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.