Installing sql server 2000 standard edition in windows xp professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
This is my first thread

When i install sql server 2000 standard edition i have a message
" Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition Server Component is not supported on this operating system only client components will be available for installation"

Hence I cannot install properly. I installed only the client componets. Thereafter when I went through Enterprise Manager and tried to establish a connection, I failed. It said server does not exist.

What to do now?

I found out that if one has sql server 2000 standard editon the prerequisties are
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 with Service Pack 5 or later, Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 5 or later, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server.

I have windows xp professional version on which i am installing sql server.

But i have seen many persons who have installed sql server standard edition in windows xp pro.
They downloaded something(probably a service pack) and went into regedit

Kindly let me know what do download and what to do after going inside regedit.

Thanks
cmrhema

Do these "many persons" actually run the SQL Server engine on their computers or did they just install the client tools to be able to connect to another SQL Server machine?

And it was SQL Server 2000 Standard, and not something like SQL Server 2005 Express or SQL Server 2000 developer version?

I got SQL Server 2000 Standard version installed

I formatted my drive initially. Before doing so I copied my database file stud.mdf and its corresponding log file.
Now I have installed sql server 2000. How do I copy these files back to enterprise manager.

Thanks

How did you get it installed? It would be very helpful if you told us how to do it..

You use Attach Database to import mdf+ldf files.

I should have replied this long ago.
Yes I did install MSDE. Is there a vast difference between MSDE and SQL SERVER 2000?
I am learning vb tutorials with backend as sql server 2000. All the commands and connections works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back