installing updates before service pack 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nider

I always see posts that say you should install service pack 1 before any other updates.

What about the updates they released before service pack 1? Does this mean I need to reinstall my OS because I added updates before service pack 1 was released?

I mean, lets me real, that's just plain lame.

any help or ideas would be appreciated.

nider

and of course i'm talking XP

From what I understand, SP1 is supposed to contain all updates that were released prior to it.

When you download it, its size will vary depending on which updates you need and what you already have.

okay, I use windows update on their web site to update my stuff, and I really dont' have any problems with my system except for 2 things.

System alert message automaticclly close before I can read them.

and recently I get rebooted, out of the blue. so far it's infrequent and I can't figure what is causing it.

oh, but I will.

nider

Ok, I don't know how to fix the system alert problem because I've never encountered it but you can find those messages in Admin tools>Event Viewer. As for your rebooting problem, there are a few things that can cause this, one is a faulty or underpowered PSU, another has to do with a setting...something to do with errors or something(look in MSKB) There is another one but I'll have to look through my links and stuff to find it. I'll edit this space here if I find it.

Originally posted by nider
I always see posts that say you should install service pack 1 before any other updates.

What about the updates they released before service pack 1? Does this mean I need to reinstall my OS because I added updates before service pack 1 was released?

I mean, lets me real, that's just plain lame.
Nope. You can install SP1 just fine on a system with Pre-SP1 Hotfixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back