installing Windows XP on another computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay

I purchased a full version of Windows Xp and installed on a 1998 computer. I have another computer I wish to install on, but have heard that I need another code from Microsoft to do this,,,,is this true? Can't I just use the code I used the first time? any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

no

if its home edition, then it needs to be activated, and it can only be activated on one computer at a time, so you need another copy

You can install it on the other computer but only for 30 days and then it will have to be activated. You can buy another product license. If you need another OS you can get new copies of Win 2000 Pro on Ebay for about $65.

remove first copy

You are entitled to use XP on another machine, provided it is removed from the first. Doing that will require re-registration with MS and convincing them that you have indeed only the one installation now. Not easy, but possible.

I suggest you do this and install some other OS (Win2K as vegasgmc sugested would be fine), since a '98 computer is not the best platform for XP, but would run 2K very well indeed.

I agree
remove the xp from older machine
but I have to say ,wait till you can confirm with MS on the move to other machine

Well, it depends on what CPU and RAM on your 98 computer then you are ok on win XP. On the XP box will tell you that.

I bought an XP upgrade version from Fry's. On the box it said OK to load on 2 CPUs. I did it on 2 computers and activation was fine.

You can spend less money on upgrade version.

I'm talking about 2 separate computers.
Well, I did not intend to do it I thought that what it was meant.
Yep, It did work. I donot know about those computers anymore and wonder if they could install sp2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back